Wednesday, April 10, 2024

20 miles and the eclipse

I feel like I need to remind you: this blog is about "everyday" life, not necessarily a posting every day. ;)  But, yeah, I haven't been writing as much as I'd like. Anyway...

TWENTY MILES

For those who have been wondering: yes, I did complete my 20-mile run Saturday. And it went way better than anticipated! This is the longest run I do in preparation for a marathon and the idea is to try to make it last as long as it will take to run the actual 26.2 miles. I was hoping to drag it out to 4 1/2 hours, but was at least able to make it a full 4 (technically I think it took me 4 hours 2 minutes).

Jane did the first 6 miles with me and I can't remember now if we headed out at 8am or 9, but it was a beautifully crisp sunny morning perfect for running. It was maybe 35F when we started, and around 50F by the time I got done. I wore shorts, t-shirt, and my lightweight Brooks windbreaker and was probably a tad over-dressed. This was my second run in the new Brooks Glycerin 20 shoes, and I loved them! The 8 1/2 fit my feet perfectly.

For fuel I can't remember if I used 3 or 4 pouches of Tailwind Endurance fuel. I think it was 3, and then I had one GU gel with water. I reloaded my 21 oz water bottle at home after Jane's 6 miles, then I ran through Foster Park and went downtown to the Y and reloaded again. So, yeah, including the one I started with, I did 3 pouches of Tailwind, and took the gel at the Y at about mile 14. 

In order to drag out the time, I started walking 1/4 mile every 2 miles after Jane was done. Somewhere around mile 16 or 17 I must have changed to walking 1/4 of every mile in order to hit 4 hours. Those usually came to about 12-minute miles. It also included 20-minute miles when I stopped at home and at the Y (to fill my water bottle and go potty).

I'm guessing the amount of walking I did plus the cool temps contributed to feeling good. However, I never did get sore even the next day or two afterward. It's weird how sometimes I'll run 5 miles and can barely walk down stairs and then I can have a run like this and it doesn't effect me at all. I'll take it!

Now I do 12 miles this Saturday (though we're thinking of signing up for a local half marathon instead) and then 8 miles the next. Then it's the big day!

ECLIPSE TOTALITY

I know everyone is making fun of people using "totality," and I don't care. It was one of THE COOLEST things I have ever witnessed! I mean... there is no way I can describe it. It was humbling, awe-inspiring, bordering on a truly spiritual experience. Seriously.

And, I'll be the first to admit, I thought it was a bit ridiculous that my sister and her son drove from Minnesota (picking up my mom in Illinois) and back just for this. They left Minnesota Sunday morning, stayed at our house Sunday night, and left for home immediately after the eclipse Monday afternoon. Turns out, though, I'm glad they did and I don't believe they regret it one bit!

I was planning to go anyway - but only because totality was a mere 20 minutes from our house, Jane was working at the event, and I have the time. Again, though, I just can't describe what it was like when the sun was completely covered by the moon. Yes, it was neat seeing the different stages of coverage, but I didn't realize you could look at it WITH NO ECLIPSE GLASSES when it was completely covered. THAT is what's indescribable. I couldn't stop staring. Yes, it got dark, the temperature dropped probably 15 degrees, it was completely still and quiet and... I don't know... it was simply one of the most awesome things. The crowd gathered at the Bluffton Y then started spontaneously clapping, but we were all still mesmerized.

The other thing I thought incredible was just the sheer power of the sun. When the first speck of light became visible again you could no longer even glimpse at it without glasses and the sky began to brighten. It was amazing the difference even a speck of sunlight made.

I took several pictures but they didn't come close to capturing the real thing. I snagged this pic from an Indy photographer who used a zillion expensive cameras to get some idea. Even it doesn't completely grasp what it was like to be standing there looking at it with your eyes...


I know I can tend to dramatize things, but I will never regret the hours we spent waiting for this 2-3 minutes. Really, it was one of the most amazing things I've ever witnessed and/or experienced. I'd consider driving a few states over to see the next one whenever it happens again.

For the record: We went to one of the Y branches connected to Jane's work. It's about 20 miles from our house and was the closest place to us for totality. They had a local news station broadcasting there all day, live music, and some food trucks. The actual event was from 1-4pm. We arrived around noon and left a little after 4. I believe the eclipse started around 1:55pm and totality was just after 3pm. There were a lot of people there, but it wasn't at all crowded. Most everyone gathered on the soccer field.

So... sorry for the long post, but those were two pretty eventful happenings for this old guy. I'm feeling pretty good about both.

No comments: