Tuesday, April 02, 2024

Honesty

I have felt convicted lately of the need to be more... honest. Not that I think I'm intentionally misleading or anything like that. However, if I am ... honest ... I have given myself over to the seduction of trying to make things more... interesting... from time to time. Which means I've maybe sensationalized a situation or juiced up a story just to make it seem a tad more exciting to read or hear.

Not only that, but sometimes I will say something in sort of a sharing-from-the-gut type way - like, "this is how I really feel" - and in all actuality, it's not true. For instance, I can feel like no one wants to be friends with me, or everyone is avoiding me, or I'm a complete idiot outcast... but none of those things are really true.

And, I know, most of you (or at least some of you) will say, "Well, gee, Dan, I've always thought you were honest." I appreciate that, but I also know it's a difficult thing. Especially nowadays. As Ted Gioia says in this article, "Honesty is tougher than you think. Deception pays better." He then lists 21 Reasons Why Writers Are Dishonest, and that's just a start!

Why do I think this is important?

I'd say there has never been a greater need for people to be honest and true. On an individual level it seems so many people wants to be influencers nowadays, which means they're often nothing more than pretenders. On a larger level, whether we're aware of it or not, most of us have been and are being influenced one way or another too. (I am currently in the middle of reading Johann Hari's 'Stolen Focus' and it is s-c-a-r-y!).

Culture has veered so far to either side that honesty is almost a revolutionary act anymore. And I'd like to be part of that revolution - for the sake of my children, grandchildren, the planet, and maybe for the simple fact... IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO!!!

So, I'd like to give a go at my "yes being yes, and my no, no" (Mt. 5:37); as well as trying to re-commit to memory good ol' Philippians 4:8: "...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think [and say/write] about such things."

I know it's a noble idea, and I will trip and stumble all over myself... but I'm putting it down right here and now.

How about you? Will you join the revolution too?

No comments: