Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Reckoning with power


I finished reading David Fitch's book 'Reckoning With Power: Why the Church Fails When It's on the Wrong Side of Power.' 

Fitch says in the introduction: "I intend to show that there are really two kinds of power at work in the world, not one. There is worldly power, which is exerted over persons, and there is godly power, which works relationally with and among persons." 

I thought it was good. I am actually scheduled to attend a 3-part lecture with him around the book tomorrow and Thursday and I'm looking forward to it. If there was one thing I wish he'd talked more about in the book were some practical ways of moving forward (though I understand it's difficult to do in a book, and he probably hopes those will come through conversation about it).

This is a topic that I have to admit I have struggled with over the years. I can recall so many times when I took the power over approach when I was in church leadership (and life in general). It seemed so much of the leadership culture at that time really emphasized this - or at least that's how I understood it. So it was helpful to see how it came to be. I will admit, though, that I am hesitant to ever be in that position again because I'm not confident of my ability to not go back to that way. So I appreciate what this book has given me to contemplate.

Here is the review I left on Amazon:

Fitch gives us a brief and readable overview of the church's struggles with power throughout history and how we might move forward. I believe this is an important book in America at this particular time (in light of 2024 election season), as well as for the 'leadership culture' so prevalent in the church. I wish all who proclaim faith in Christ - and especially those in church leadership roles - would give this a read and consider/converse the concepts of "power over" and "power with". I found it personally helpful in my own struggle to navigate worldly power and Godly power.

No comments: