Friday, July 12, 2024

Five things friday

Well, we have survived for another week and made it to Friday. Congratulations! 

  1. We are privileged to be receiving a new dryer today! I've been tinkering with our 25-year-old GE dryer for years. It was one of the first things we bought when we moved to the area. We had to replace the washing machine quite awhile ago. The old dryer still works, but I'm afraid the bearings are going out, and Lowes had this GE 7.2 cu ft Electric Dryer on sale, so we took the plunge (or tumble). I am waiting on it to be delivered as I write this. Hopefully it will serve us well too.
  2. We had the super privilege of seeing the group Band of Horses Wednesday night. Wow, what a show! It was at the Clyde (just minutes from our house), Drew Carrie were there (who actually encouraged us to go), and a bunch of other people we knew - including about a dozen from our church. I also really liked the opener - Curt Kiser/Carriers. It was just him, and I'm not really sure if there is a band or not, but I don't care. He had such enthusiasm, and after he was done stood in the lobby with the biggest grin for the rest of the night. I talked with him briefly and he is such a likeable guy. Plus a really good songwriter and musician! It was a really, really good night.
  3. I am presently reading Wendell Berry's novel 'Hannah Coulter.' I really like it too. I don't know why I don't read more fiction. This is another one of those 'helps-me-slow-down' books. I like how it makes me feel.
  4. This week's TFU was written by Syler Thomas, and he started with this: "I forget that God’s primary language isn’t English. I mean, I know that it isn’t (it’s Hebrew, duh), but I love hearing people speak in other languages because it reminds me that 1) English, though popular, is merely one of around 7,000 languages spoken in the world; 2) God knows and understands them all, plus the dead ones like Latin and silly ones like pig Latin; 3) God hears every prayer in every language, all at once; and 4) God does hear my prayers and does care about my problems but… 5) there is a much larger story I’m a part of, and the redeemed will be together in God’s presence one day, and it will be perfect." (I don't know about all that, but I love this image!)
  5. "However late, then, it may seem, let us rouse ourselves from lethargy. That is what scripture urges on us when it says: the time has come for us to rouse ourselves from sleep. Let us open our eyes to the light that can change us into the likeness of God. Let our ears be alert to the stirring call of his voice crying to us every day: today, if you should hear his voice, do not harden your hearts." -Benedict of Nursia.

 Need I say more??? Nope. It's not like I'm running for president... or even care who is. ;)

No comments: