Friday, August 23, 2024

Five things friday


 Whew! It is Friday, isn't it? What a couple days...

  1. I knew it! Remember the other day when I wrote about having a good run, but I said I felt "weird" and hoped it didn't result in me getting sick or injured? Well, yeah, sicker than a dog. I started feeling poorly Wednesday afternoon and spent the entire night writhing in pain and puking my guts out. I was finally able to get a piece of toast down last night, and so far I feel pretty much alive today. We'll see. I may have to give up eating raw veggies.
  2. Volleyball season has begun for our middle school granddaughter. Monday was their first game and it... did not go so well. I felt so bad. Our team doesn't have much experience, or talent (it happens), and the team we were playing was the opposite. Things started bad and went down hill from there. We couldn't hit anything and before you knew it it was 21-1. Apparently the granddaughter is the "setter" this year - as one of the only experienced returners (also team captain) - but after several misses in a row you could see the tears start to well up. Finally she lost it and fortunately the coach took her out. I felt so, so bad. My heart was breaking. But, much to her credit, pretty soon she went back in and though the game didn't get any better, she did better and tried encouraging everyone else. The next game was much better, and I was a pretty proud grandpa at how she stuck with it and didn't let it get her down.
  3. I'm seeing a lot of talk about vice-presidential candidate Tim Walz's son getting teary-eyed and saying "That's my dad!" at the DNC the other night. What a moment. It's funny how different people can have such different reactions to such things. Compassion seems to have gone out of style. Wouldn't it be great if it returned?
  4. I finished 'Finding Our Way Again' by Brian McLaren. I loved, loved, loved this book from a few years back. Part of it was sentimental for me, I'm sure, but I also believe what he wrote about to be true. It was a breath of fresh air - which seems odd since it is centered on returning to ancient practices. Hopefully I can share more fully one of these days...
  5. "There are times, the ancient way teaches us, when life is so unimaginably hard that stodgy old practices like memorization and recitation can practically save your life, or your sanity." - Brian McLaren (p. 194).

Alright, I probably need to take a shower and stuff. I have to set up for a concert and we work it tomorrow night. It's been awhile since we've had a show. It's also the first one since I abruptly quit as janitor. Hopefully I can keep my mouth shut and all will go well. Hopefully you will have a good weekend too!

No comments: