Monday, August 26, 2024

Terrance simien & the zydeco experience


We had the pleasure of hosting Terrance Simien & the Zydeco Experience at the concert hall Saturday night. Wow, what a show! And this 6-piece band knows how to throw a partay!!! 

This was actually a rental - a local person booked the hall, band, and just paid to have it there (it was her 70th birthday party). They also brought in a private caterer for the bar so I helped Jane at the front door scanning/selling tickets (rather than my usual bartending). That made it a much easier night for me - although I did spend part of the time out front because our building is currently under construction and there's no sign outside and it kinda looks like the building is being torn down, so there was a bit of confusion by people who weren't familiar as to whether the event was there or not. I saw several people walking by and I bet at least half of those who I opened the door for weren't sure if they were in the right place or not (not that that's a problem! Gah!!). 

Anyway, this is a fun band. Terrance is actually a two-time Grammy Award winner, and from his Wiki page:

Simien and his group have toured internationally, presenting over 8500 live performances in more than 45 countries, and released dozens of solo recordings and collaborations. He has shared studio and stage with the likes of Paul Simon, Dr. John, The Meters, Marcia Ball, Dave Matthews, Stevie Wonder, Robert Palmer and the roots rockers Los Lobos.

Simien has appeared on screen and contributed to the soundtracks of multiple movies, television films and commercials. He appears on the soundtrack of the Disney film, The Princess and the Frog set in the French Quarter of New Orleans, featuring authentic Louisiana music scored by Randy Newman. He has also contributed to the soundtracks of movies, such as, The Big Easy, Exit to Eden and A Murder of Crows

Along with his wife, Cynthia, the Simiens are also active in Creole music education and advocacy. They created the "Creole for Kidz & The History of Zydeco" performing arts program, which provides informational performances to K-12 students, teachers and parents.

I must admit, I was/am fairly ignorant of what exactly Zydeco music is (I'd have said it was Louisiana/Creole music). It is sort of that, but if you venture to this page on their website it gives a much fuller explanation. Fairly interesting stuff! 

As for my own personal thoughts... I appreciated that Terrance, and all the members of the band, were exceptionally nice people, they play a raucous show, and I really liked how towards the end they do a medley of worship-type songs (complete with Amazing Grace) acknowledging how good it is to be blessed by God. I was also highly impressed by Stan Chambers on his 5-string bass. Dang, that man can play!!

All in all it was a somewhat unexpectedly super-fun night. I'll take more of these, please! :)

No comments: