Friday, August 30, 2024

Five things friday

In case you've never noticed, or in the unlikely event you're a new reader to this blogspot (gasp!), I try to do this thing on Friday where I simply post five things of note. Perhaps I find them interesting, or think you might find them interesting, or it's just some random tidbit that's on my mind. I do try to keep it short and simple. So, since we've managed to circle the sun this many days again (is that how it works?), here are those things for this week:

  1. It's difficult for me to think of, or admit, to things I am good at. I worked out at the gym this morning and the person working was like bouncing off the walls with energy. This is the early morning person. One thing I think I was good at, and people used to tell me they appreciated when I did that job, was how I could make people feel welcome but in a chill way. I'm sure not everyone liked it, but when people are coming in to work out after just crawling out of bed... they don't usually want someone 'in-their-face' right away. I think I did that well. There, I said it!
  2. One thing I have come to appreciate is the "normal" evening routine in our house-of-two (plus cat). We eat supper, sit on the couch and play our nyt games (wordle, connections, mini crossword, strands, letterbox) and compare, watch reruns of MASH from 6-8pm, then watch an hour-ish of whatever is on GritTV, and are usually in bed around 9. Sometimes all those things happen together, sometimes not; and... sometimes we do occasionally have other things to do (like middle school sporting events mostly). But it's a simple life, and I like it.
  3. Some random (apparent) facts I find... interesting: 1) Starbucks sells more sugar than coffee; 2) 53% of US women over the age of 65 are divorced, widowed, or never married, compared with 30% of men [53% just seems crazy!]; 3) reports say more men now die "deaths of despair" than women die from breast cancer. [what is a 'death of despair'? I wonder]. Source
  4. I spent a great deal of time this week working on (or procrastinating) my substack site. Ugh. I'm having such a difficult time pulling the trigger. I think I know why, but it's mostly just embarrassing. I'm at the point now where I think it's basically just going to be some of the highlights that I post here (and be very similar to this blog). That's assuming I can find some highlights. And that I one day actually, you know, do it.
  5. "Part of growing in faith means simply trusting the fact that God is pleased with your little life." (from Andy Squyres's book 'Poet Priest-Volume 1'... which I am LOVING, btw).

 Okey doke. My oatmeal has been eaten, coffee drank, and I suppose I should brush my teeth before I forget (again).

Later!

No comments: