Friday, September 06, 2024

Five things friday

Meh, one of those weeks. Here's five things...

  1. Last Saturday we ran the Parlor City Trot for the third time. I was scheduled to run a half marathon as part of my marathon training, so I ran the half (for the third time there). Jane ran the 5k - which I believe is the first time they've had one, or at least the first we can remember. She has previously run the 10k (which they also had this year). She won her age group and got second in the over-40 masters division. Once again I got nothin'... but I did do it in 2:04 (2:03:15 on my watch), which I was happy enough with. It was super humid though, and it just about zapped me of all my energy. I'm not sure I've fully recovered yet.
  2. The youngest grandson (so far), Caleb, had his first middle school football game. He plays on another schools team because their school is too small to have a team. I think just he and one other 5th grader from his school play. Anyway, it is a 5th-6th grade team. It's his first go at football, so he doesn't fully understand the nuances yet, but he did what he was supposed to do the times he got in at cornerback and receiver.
  3. We recently watched all three seasons of the TV series The Bear. Jane really like it, since it's about a restaurant. I thought parts of it were really good, but some of it just got a little too much for me. And I'm maybe in the minority, but the family holiday episode was way too intense as far as I'm concerned. But it was alright on the whole.
  4. I've not felt the greatest this week - physically and emotionally. Not sure if I had a touch of something, or if that humid half marathon really sapped my energy. This is also the first fall in like 40-some years that I have not taken any allergy meds (the cardiologist suggested I stop). I had a hard time making myself run the 4/8/4-mile runs, and I'm not at all looking forward to the 17 miles tomorrow. Ugh. Next week is the highest mileage of my eighteen-week training program and I know I often start to wear down at some point, but I seem to all of a sudden be really struggling this year. Like, I'm just kind of tired of running. We'll see.
  5. "Do not fall into despair because of your stumblings, for you should not consider them incurable. There is indeed a healer: he who on the cross asked for mercy on those who were crucifying him, who pardoned murderers as he hung on the cross. Christ came on behalf of sinners, to heal the brokenhearted and to bind up their wounds." --Seventh-century monk and bishop Isaac of Syria
 Later

No comments: