Monday, September 09, 2024

17 miles of books and things


Cats get a bad rap. Almost every day our cat sits and waits for me to perch myself on the couch to read so she can snuggle into the side of my leg and take a snooze. I disappoint her all the time, yet she keeps coming back, each day, sitting patiently in her small circle of space, just hoping for a few minutes of my time. 

Lately I've been trying to read more in a public space. I often visit the metal chairs outside the downtown library and blend in with the homeless folks. This morning was a tad chilly, so I went to my old workplace until I got pestered so bad I just left. 

It's not that I mind people, or even being interrupted sometimes, but not everyone understands that there are those of us who choose to read. We're not just doing it hoping someone will come talk to us.

I think God may be more like a cat than a dog. God often seems distant and sometimes even dis-interested. But he/she keeps coming back, waiting patiently...

Anyway, I'm sure you've been wondering how the 17-mile run went Saturday. It was fine. As with most, I was sure I'd never be able to do it at the start, but I didn't feel too bad once I got going and lost my mind. I think I averaged like a 10:17 pace, which included stopping to drink now and then, pee at the Y, and for various stoplights and whatnot.

Oh, and I got some new books. The top three (pictured above) were ones I ordered last week. The big one in the bottom middle (Poet Priest) I just finished. The other two are ones we picked up at church. They have a stack for people to read in preparation of the upcoming election. I will likely/hopefully read a few of them (the remaining ones at church; I will read all of the above for sure).

I think I'm at 15 books so far this year. That's pretty good for me. If you look at my blog on a computer they are listed on the sidebar. One thing I noticed this morning, though, is that the more books I read, the less of the bible I seem to read. I should probably do something about that...

Other things: This morning we started out with a run (I did 5 miles plus 1 and Jane did 3), then I took Jane to work, I read, ate breakfast, ordered some laundry detergent, tried to find some decent notebooks for my journaling, wrote this, and now I'll probably mow the lawn, do a load of laundry and go to the store before my afternoon zoom meeting with a pastor/friend. Later I will pick Jane up from work and we'll go to a middle school volleyball game. 

It's Monday.

No comments: