Yesterday I spoke at our Sunday service again. Oof. I'm glad it's over. Again.
I suppose it went fine. I mean, I survived... no one threw anything at me... no one cussed at me... no animals were harmed and nothing got broke (at least I don't think so).
Still... ugh.
I didn't sleep very well the night before - which I think had more to do with what I'd eaten for supper than nerves about speaking. But it made me nervous, because I wasn't sure how/if my stomach would cooperate.
That part went fine. The part that didn't... I don't know... it's hard to explain.
I'd been working on this sermon for way too long. I thought I was suppose to share in June, or July, or sometimes before the last Sunday in August. So, I had too much time to prepare. Which, naturally, meant I didn't really settle on what I was going to say in particular until too late. Also, I didn't really go over it very much the few days before.
I felt kind of unsettled - for lack of a better word I can think of - as I delivered it.
And... two people got up and walked out right as I started to share. I felt my heart drop a bit, and it took way too much energy from me to not let it get to me... which means it got to me.
The space where we meet - which is actually a Methodist church sanctuary - has all glass across the back. So when I'm up front speaking to the audience, I can see what's happening in the foyer and even outside - since the doors and walls leading outside are all glass too. It can be very distracting to me when people are out in the foyer. Even more so when I see them walk out of the sanctuary, and then leave the building. My mind wanders and I wonder why they left, what were they thinking, was it me, something I said or did... or did it have nothing to do with me at all?
Anyway, I left out some big hunks of my manuscript, I rearranged parts of it on the fly (and not well), and I added some bits here and there. I wasn't very happy with it.
And that doesn't really bother me so much. I knew it was not my best effort going in. Maybe that's why the two people who left made it hurt so much worse.
I don't know.
Anyway, this morning I started reading Andrew Arndt's substack post for today (https://theandrewarndt.substack.com/p/20-years-in-miscellany-and-meanderings?utm_campaign=post-expanded-share&utm_medium=web). In it he had this little ditty about Yo-Yo Ma:
I heard Yo-Yo Ma say once that he approaches his concerts not as performances but as acts of hospitality. The goal is to use the music to open up a generous, life-giving space for all to feast and enjoy.
I like that. THAT is what I would like my preaching to be like... opening up a generous, life-giving space for all the feast and enjoy. What a way to enter into communion, eh?
So... there ya have it. That's all I've got to say today.
I will try to remember to insert the Youtube link here when I receive it later this week: __________
1 comment:
I am always very proud of you when you share. I know it is hard to get up in front of people and give them a piece of yourself not knowing how they will respond. I saw many heads nodding in agreement and appreciate when people are able to laugh at the humor you use as well. Thanks for giving that to all of us who were there.
Post a Comment