Tuesday, September 01, 2026

Writing ritual

I really do want to write in this space more often. I know I say that all the time (at least in my head I do). Yet, something always seems to come up.

Even lately, it's not that I haven't been writing. Not as much has been on this blog. However, I do have one chapter complete in what I hope some day will either be a short story or short novella. It's a lot different than anything else I've written, so this is the first I've spoken of it... to anyone. I also have somewhat of a framework for my long-overdue Holy Week devotional using the music of David Gilmour. And, then there's the handwritten journal I keep.

Still, what I would like to do is have this blog be for my daily writing routine. Just stuff that's off the top of my head. Then, perhaps I can utilize my substack page for more Five Things Friday type stuff... or something. I dunno. 

Basically, I guess, I want to continue trying to be a writer. I know I will never make a living at it... or probably any money at all... but I think there are worse things I could do with my time. I have the perfect spot to do it from - sitting here at the dining room table looking out over the neighborhood. The slightly elevated view of our street gives me the feeling of being the overseer or something... 

Yesterday I happened across this short (10-minute) video clip of a guy talking about the drawing advice that changed his life. He said he was advised to stop trying to do so many things, and concentrate on just doing one thing every single day... over and over and over... for a year (he drew pictures of a bird). I'm not sure how it works for everyone, but for an artist... it kind of makes sense. And, right or not, I consider writing to be sort of an art. So, I'd like to just write more... maybe not every day, but most days - whether I have anything to say or not. Sometimes... it may be that our best efforts come from those days we don't think we're being effective... (I dunno for sure, but it sounds like a good thing to say).

Although, I just read a piece on Wendell Berry (I can't believe he died yesterday - even though he was 92, but still...). Winn Collier said Wendell told him "our real work is our love." So Wendell may refute that 'do the same thing every day'... because life will dictate that interruptions will be necessary... if we're loving people. 

I suppose those are two good things to hold onto together: being intentional about what we do, but also holding onto love for others above all else.

And there it is... 

1 comment:

Jane said...

I know I can be somewhat biased, but just reading this emphasizes the fact to me that you are, indeed, a writer. I believe without a doubt that there is a book in your mind and heart just waiting to come out onto the paper. Your writing is definitely an art - and it's beautiful.