Before I clicked "publish" I already did not like my post from yesterday. I mean, I don't know Ed Sheeran. Maybe he's an okay person. Still... I have an attitude about mucho money. I won't go so far as to say 'you can't be a follower of Jesus and also be rich'... but I would say those people are few and far between. And, I might go so far as to say you can't be a billionaire and be a follower of Jesus (I just don't see how it's possible).
Anyway, this morning I was wonderin' what in the world a "k-shaped economy" is. I've been reading the headlines and, I admit (and you likely know), I am not an economic genius. So, if you're wonderin' too, here are some basics I have learned:
- In general: A k-shaped economy is where different groups of people have very different experiences at the same time.
- Think of the vertical line on the left of the letter "k" as the starting point, or base point. The economy then splits into two different groups: those for whom things begin to look better (the line going up), and those for whom things are much worse (the line going down).
- The line going up might be a person/family where they have high-paying jobs, own their home, have investments in the stock market... They're making more money than they were a few years ago.
- The line going down is a person/family where they have low-paying or no jobs, their rent and housing costs are rising, groceries and gas are more expensive, they have few or no investments, and they're having trouble saving money or staying afloat.
- So, someone could say "the economy is doing well," and some would say "yes" and some would say "no"... and they would both be technically correct.
- The problem with a k-shaped economy is that those who are well-off tend to become better off, and those who are struggling tend to struggle even more (a widening of the gap between rich and poor and a further diminishing of the middle class).
- That means the country's economy isn't one that affects everyone equally.
- Two people living in the same city at the same time can experience completely different economies.
- In other words, the benefits and problems are being distributed unevenly.
- So, when someone says "the economy is growing," they can technically be telling the truth, but it doesn't tell you very much about how ordinary people's lives are actually changing.
- And, just my own two cents: I'm guessing many of those on the upward swing have little or no clue what life is like for those on the downward swing.
So, there ya go. A little economics on this gloomy loomy day.
1 comment:
Well, I have definitely learned something today. It's not exactly encouraging the way the world is headed these days, but at least I know what k-shaped economy is!
Post a Comment