Tuesday, September 08, 2026

Weekend in st. paul

I think I figured out why these are such relaxing times for me...

This past weekend we took a quick trip to St. Paul, MN to see the boy and his family. They live in a small house just off West 7th Street. It is a chill quiet neighborhood, but easy walking distance to so many shops, restaurants, breweries, parks, and other activity. (I didn't realize West 7th was St. Paul's first settlement, and the oldest commercial corridor in the state!).

We flew up - direct from Fort Wayne - Friday morning, and flew home Sunday evening. This flight schedule is so nice for a weekend visit. We're there by 9:30am and stay until just after supper - arriving back to our house around 10pm. It was 1hr 20 minutes wheels up to wheels down on the way there, and 59 minutes on the way back (apparently we can fly faster at night).

This trip included most of the usual: a couple visits to Brake Bread for breakfast scones and coffee, Chinese takeout one night, Waldmann Brewery one afternoon, Francis (plant based) Burger Joint one night, and this time we took in some music at the White Squirrel Bar (just down the street from the boy's house). I also found a place to run from this house - a trail along Shepard Rd that is excellent).

Otherwise we mostly hung around the house with the youngest grandchild - watching him paint, play his dad's drum set, read books, and throw a ball outside in the yard.

I have to say, this boy has the sweetest, most tender heart of anyone in the world. I know he is sure to have it broken one day - and it will hurt mine when that happens - but I hope he can hold onto it for as long as possible.

That is largely why this is such a relaxing trip for me: His parents seem to have no anger themselves. Certainly no one is perfect, but it is such a breath of fresh air to be around people who feel hopeful and light and seemingly hold no anger, animosity, or bitterness towards other human beings. It just feels... "light" to be around them.

As you likely know, I am not like that. So it does my heart good to experience it on occasion. Even when we have to all share one bathroom, which is right next to our tiny guest room, in this close-quartered house. But it helps that McDonald's is a mere .25 miles away, and there are several places to get a drink in the same area.

Yet, all that said, it was still nice to get back to Fort Wayne and settle into my routine again. I'd give just about anything for all our kids to live in the same area. Probably not ever going to happen... but I can dream. A little. 

1 comment:

Jane said...

It was a very good trip as always. And although it will most likely stay a dream, which is okay, it is a very nice one to have. :)