Monday, September 14, 2026

What is your dream for the day?

This past Sunday our church did a table gathering centered around Spiritual Formation (the theme for this season, from now until Advent).

Spiritual Formation was defined as:

To be shaped by the Spirit into an every deepening Christlikeness. A process that takes place through surrender and receptivity to love.

Practices become experiences that wake us up and give us tangible training for becoming people of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

The first of several questions was: How do you come today, what is your dream for the day?

The second was: What if we could approach our spiritual formation with no one to impress and nothing to prove? What would happen? How would this approach change things for you?

 

I thought these were both pretty profound questions. I guess I especially perplexed by the "What is your dream for the day?"  

I don't know that I've ever considered a 'dream for the day.' People at our table  - ranging in age from middle school up to us (the oldest) gave varying answers. I think I said something like "To get some rest." I knew right away it was a lame answer.

Anyway, I've been thinking about that question ever since. Why don't I have any idea what my dream for the day might be? 

I wanted to write this down here so maybe I will contemplate it some more. I think it's worth thinking about... 

No comments: