Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Lessons learned about church

Cindy Bryan has a great post here about some things she learned about church (and is still learning). I can really appreciate what she says, and the fact that she didn't just give up altogether. I think that is the great temptation. Wouldn't we all like for everyone else to be perfect. But learning that this journey we're on is a journey for everyone else too... that can be freeing.

Here's a snippet of the full post: (h/t to Randy)
Some things i learned from church that didn't prove true:
  1. at church (and with church members) I can be myself because those folks love Christ and will exemplify that love in relation to me
  2. i can trust the church with my heart
  3. the church will be honest with me
  4. i become who i was meant to be when i'm with the church and involved in church activities
  5. the more i surround myself with church people, the better

What I have learned since:

  1. It isn't safe to be myself with the church
  2. Church folks can be some of the most viscious, unforgiving people around.
  3. never, ever expect to be given the benefit of the doubt by the church
  4. the church will not be honest with me
  5. i can't fully be who i was meant to be within the church walls, because fear changes me
  6. it is quite detrimetal to surround ones' self only with church people. when they abandon you, they do it in mass

What i'm currently learning:

  1. i can be guardedly myself, on rare occasions, with carefully chosen church folks
  2. not all church folks are viscious and unforgiving
  3. sometimes some church folks are sincere in their dealings with me
  4. as long as i guard my heart, i don't have to always be afraid at church
  5. when i tell my non-church friends how involved i am with church, they immediately become guarded and a little suspicious of me.
  6. in spite of all this, God seems to still want me to be part of church.
    (now I'm crying and it's time to stop.)

5 comments:

JAH said...

And when Christ sets you free - you are free indeed!

Tom said...

Can't this same list apply for most communities? Are churches really worse than any one else, or is just that we expect better?

dan said...

Tom,
I don't know. I don't think most communities have much to do with the first group of statements ("Some things I learned from church that didn't prove true"). Don't you think the church makes a lot of claims as to how we "should be" that other groups don't ever make?

Although I will agree that it's not only the church that can let people down.

Milton Stanley said...

Maybe it's because I can relate to Cindy's experiences, or maybe it's because my wife and children are out of town this week, but by the time I got to the end of Cindy's lists, I was crying too. Thanks for sharing this one, Dan.

dan said...

You're welcome, Milton. Hope the wife & kids return safely.