Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Simple church - 1

I hesitantly began reading this book again. Hesitant because I don't know if I'm up for anything big. My soul needs some refreshing. But... it was there.

On p. 3 they say: "If you are a church leader, you have been exposed to plenty of models. Most of them are on your shelf. Or worse, you have blended a bunch of models into one schizophrenic plan. If that is the case, neither you nor the people in your church are really sure what your church is all about. We see it all the time."

Yep. Guilty as charged. Speak to me.

On p. 21 they say of Ministry Schizophrenia: "It occurs when churches and church leaders are not sure who they are. They are not clear what their fundamental identity is. They run in a disjointed and frantic fashion. It occurs most often when churches attempt to blend multiple church models into one."

Okay, but all the bloggers and board members and people in the pews are saying..... And if they're all right, then who are you to say....

(p. 27) "Imagine a church were you, as a leader, can articulate clearly how someone moves from being a new Christian to become a mature follower of Christ. Imagine that your church is no longer just busy but is alive with ministries and activities that make a difference."

Hmm. Sorry. I don't think I can even do that anymore.

(p. 26) "To have a simple church, leaders must ensure that everything their church does fits together to produce life change. They must design a simple process that pulls everything together, a simple process that moves people toward spiritual maturity."

Okay, so, I think I've tried this before. It always pisses people off, makes life difficult, requires that I spend great amounts of time weeping over scripture and in prayer, and... is probably the right thing to do.

Gulp.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, man. I prayed for you after I read your post.

dan said...

Thanks, Randy! I appreciate it (really!).

And I should point out - it's not that I am in a *bad* church. It's quite remarkable really. But... well, you know. :)

Thanks again.

Brian said...

Hey Dan,

This book did change how we are doing church. It surprises me to say so. I read it by accident. I'd never have picked it up on my own. Here's a quick summary:

1. Each month is themed from a Classic Scripture (one everyone knows about and should read for themselves). And all themes fit into our four basic mission pieces -- Love God, Love People, Serve Locally, Serve Globally. This month's theme is Blind Obedience and the story of Abraham. Next month is Forgiving Abuse and talking about Joseph. March is The Cross. These are simpler stories than I have been using. These are the basics, though they are tremendously deep.

2. Twice a month - home groups meet. We started three. I think this is the actual key to the whole thing. Not so much that home groups are the key, but that the three people I would pick as reproducible leaders all said "yes" to leading a group. They meet with me weekly and are both the leaders of the church and the leaders of dynamic home groups. Two of them are also highly involved -- one locally and one globally. The other is an older man who provides maturity and stability and encouragement to our leadership.

3. Monthly Community/Global Focus -- this month it was our New Life for Haiti Banquet. February is a Men's conference on Fatherhood that one of our guys has put together. March is a fundraising for a scholarship for a graduate of the high school for behavior disorder kids. I highlight the daylights out of these events.

4. I've made bookmarks with specific Bible readings for the congregation. They need to read 10-20 chapters per month. Very doable was my goal.

5. The first Sunday of the month is followed by a potluck lunch.

6. The youth groups have picked up on these themes as well. I suggested it to them, but also told them it may be too much to ask.

I'm writing this more for me than for you. In other words, I'm not telling you how to do it, rather I'm reflecting on what just happened. I'm as amazed as anybody.

A couple of questions arise.
1. Why didn't I do this earlier? I don't know. I think its too simple.

2. What was the key to it happening this time? I don't know. I would say the three leaders being available. I've invested in leaders since the beginning, but I've seen little to no reproduction. Could be right place, right time.

3. Could this work in other churches? I don't know. I think a lot of things can work if you have reproducible leaders and you put them in a position to reproduce.

dan said...

Wow. Thanks Brian. I need to copy that off and look it over in depth. Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

The potluck thing sounds AMAZING! I love potlucks as long as they are organized right - who wants 20 pasta salads, ya know?

Something about cold noodles...ehh!

Anyway, mothly potlucks: what a good idea.

Brian said...

Our first (and only so far) monthly potluck had A LOT of PASTA! But they were fairly warm. I'm thinking about buying chicken and "charging" a $2 per person donation. Some call Chicken the "Gospel Bird".