Thursday, July 10, 2008

A new car

We took our 2001 Taurus in because it was making a weird noise yesterday, and later that afternoon the mechanic called and told us it needs about $1100 worth of work done - two front axles, broken rear spring, shocks & struts, and that didn't include the fact that it needs new tires. I trust our mechanic, and we actually get a bit of a discount because I'm their pastor, so it's not like we're being "taken" or anything. That's what happens to a car with 160,000 miles on it. We ended up just having the axles replaced for under $500. That's still a major chunk of change.

So we started talking about maybe getting a different car. We still have a 2002 Buick Century that we would use for long trips or when we need to haul people around. But it has almost 130,000 miles on it. The truck is for special occasions only. The brakes are about shot now. So we're looking for something small, and inexpensive. I saw this article today on The 10 Most Fuel Efficient Cars in The U.S. and thought that was pretty timely. I hate buying new cars though (well, used ones in our case). Too much left to chance, and it stresses me out. Sometimes I wonder if it would be better to buy a new one. In looking at this list, I think the Toyota Yaris and the Honda Fit look like possibilities. But... We haven't had a car payment in a really long time. And I'm just not up on what's a good deal and what's not. So I dunno. Jane would like to get an old Jeep.

Any suggestions?