Thursday, July 10, 2008

A new car

We took our 2001 Taurus in because it was making a weird noise yesterday, and later that afternoon the mechanic called and told us it needs about $1100 worth of work done - two front axles, broken rear spring, shocks & struts, and that didn't include the fact that it needs new tires. I trust our mechanic, and we actually get a bit of a discount because I'm their pastor, so it's not like we're being "taken" or anything. That's what happens to a car with 160,000 miles on it. We ended up just having the axles replaced for under $500. That's still a major chunk of change.

So we started talking about maybe getting a different car. We still have a 2002 Buick Century that we would use for long trips or when we need to haul people around. But it has almost 130,000 miles on it. The truck is for special occasions only. The brakes are about shot now. So we're looking for something small, and inexpensive. I saw this article today on The 10 Most Fuel Efficient Cars in The U.S. and thought that was pretty timely. I hate buying new cars though (well, used ones in our case). Too much left to chance, and it stresses me out. Sometimes I wonder if it would be better to buy a new one. In looking at this list, I think the Toyota Yaris and the Honda Fit look like possibilities. But... We haven't had a car payment in a really long time. And I'm just not up on what's a good deal and what's not. So I dunno. Jane would like to get an old Jeep.

Any suggestions?

8 comments:

Tom said...

Here's my 2 cents. I don't understand the Yaris. Something that small should get more than 1 mpg better than a Corolla on the highway. That's a moot point though because you strike me as a mini cooper guy all the way.

Tammie said...

Just bought a Corolla last year about this time. I recently used it to drive to Mississippi (from PA) and got somewhere around 40 miles per gallon the whole way. More solid than the Yaris. Couldn't even fit my bike in that little thing. So, if you're thinking Toyota, I'd step up.

Whisky Prajer said...

We just bought a Yaris sedan and are for the most part very happy with it. It's curious for me to see the 35 mpg (hwy) rating, though. We've done much better than that. Tammie mentions trunk space, and that is certainly an issue (though I get my bike in, without much effort). In hindsight we would have chosen a lighter color and gone with universal locking.

But after several years of running payment free, the sudden monthly demand of a couple hundred dollars is certainly a downer.

Anonymous said...

Since you don't like buying new cars I'll just give you the Neon and you can get me a Corolla.

:)

Someone I work with just got a Corolla and I personally love it.

Isaac Horwedel said...

I've heard from a couple of people recently that hybrid cars are actually more harmful for the environment because of the way they're manufactured and that it takes having the car for about 6 years to get back to where a normal gasoline car is. Just something to think about.

MR said...

Yeah, but I'm haunted by using fossil fuels. I saw the ghost of a brontosaurus in my driveway last night.

Do you think in a hundred million years they'll make vehicles that run off us?

Marcus said...

It won't take a hundred million years, only a movie called Matrix. Anyway, I would stick with the Corolla.

dan said...

Thanks for all the helpful hints everyone. I appreciate it.