Saturday, August 16, 2008

Car shopping, and other stuff

Yesterday we finally went car shopping. Nothing to show for it. And, man... do I hate buying cars. I'm just not big into pressure sales and all the "negotiating" stuff. I have a hard enough time just buying shoes.

The first place we went was Kelley, and that had to be the best experience I've ever had with a car salesman. They do it right. Unfortunately they didn't really have anything that tripped our trigger. An '04 Malibu Maxx (that's maybe a bit too old), and an '07 Ford Focus (that's white), but not much else. We will check their online inventory though, because I really liked the salesman. Next we went to the big Toyota/Kia place at the I-69 automall. I was freaking out just driving into the place. But we got a pretty nice salesman who has worked there for 31 years. We test drove an '07 Kia Spectra and an '05 Toyota Corolla. The Spectra was really nice. I also kinda liked the smaller Kia Rio too, but I don't think Jane liked it much. It is really small. She made the mistake of getting in an '07 Nissan Sentra that was pretty cool, but it was a bit too much money. THEN we made the mistake of going to one more place - Dimension Ford - and it was there we encountered the high-pressure sales tactics. We drove an '08 Focus - which wasn't too bad, but it wasn't near as nice as the Spectra - and pretty soon the guy has us in the office crunching numbers, and every time I said "Man, I am NOT buying a car today," and he would come at us with another offer. I think at one point we could have actually had a new '08 Focus for less money than any of the other cars, but we were already bolting for the door trying to catch our breath. I hate stuff like that. So... car shopping ended on a downer. I don't know how in the world people can afford to buy a stinking car anyway. Geesh. It's been a long time since we've had a car payment, and I am not looking forward to it. Does anyone know if Kia's are any good?

OTHER STUFF:
  • Glad to see Track & Field has finally started in the Olympics. And did you see that Usain Bolt run the 9.92 in the quarterfinals of the 100 meters? I have never seen anyone do anything like that. He was just jogging at the end. Incredible. I am pumped for the semi's and the finals. The 100 is as much mental as it is physical, so it will be innaresting.
  • I'm glad I'm not charismatic. I don't even know who this Bentley guy is that everyone is talking about. I'm sure they are nice people, but a lotta them seem just plain weird to me.
  • One thing that I really, really, really don't like is when someone patronizes me.
  • I don't know if creating community is just something I'm not cut out for, or if it is downright i-m-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e. But I don't think you can have church without it. It could be that the demon named "self-centered" is the biggest enemy the church faces.
  • I want to end this thing on a positive note, and... I don't know... "c" is probably my most positive note. For some odd reason lately, whenever I am stumped and I just pick up the guitar and set out for never, never land... "c" is where I start. Sometimes it's "e." I don't know where this is going, or why it's positive, but... whatever. Lady Jane bought a new copy of Neil Young's "Live At Massey Hall" (or whatever it is), and I can dig it. Neil is the deal in our household. There - that's positive. I'm almost certain of it. Or something like that.
Charge.