Monday, September 28, 2009

Sometimes it's ok

You know, there is plenty wrong with the church. And there are plenty of people more than willing to point it out. But sometimes the church is ok too. And the sad thing is, most of the naysayers never see what's right about it, because they're too busy pointing fingers and complaining, that they miss it. That's too bad.

Yesterday afternoon we hosted the local women's shelter for a picnic at our pavilion. Jane's Sunday School class started this project of providing supper for them once a month, and it's a really nice ministry. This is the second time they have come out to the country. Both times have gone extremely well. The kids LOVE to run and play on the playground, or shoot baskets, or play games. And the ladies just really seem to enjoy being out in the farm-fresh air. Yesterday someone donated pumpkins and they made faces with stick-on decals. At first it was just the kids, but before you knew it the adults were decorating their own pumpkins. I think they thoroughly enjoyed it. And the funny thing is - even for someone as uptight as me - you just feel relaxed around this group of people. I don't know what it is. They have little pretense, and they are so kind and appreciative. I think it truly is one of those cases where we get more out of it than they do.

So, yes, there are some really good things the church does too. Not a lot of people know about it, but I feel privileged to have been a part.

3 comments:

Joan Baumgartner Brown said...

Glad it was a good day. I was sorry to miss it.

Jim L said...

You know, it hit me while reading that, maybe people aren't SUPPOSED to know about it (churches doing good things). I mean, the whole "don't let your right hand know what your left is doing" thing may not just apply to people, but to groups of people, i.e., the church, too. Your church did a good thing, and that's enough, isn't it? Maybe some churches who do a good thing and then trumpet the fact for publicity are missing the point.

So yeah, it's hard to do good and not be able to garner praise for it, but in the end, the reward is doing God's will and knowing in your heart it was a good thing, and that's exactly how it sounds like it was.

But just so you can hear it from a confirmed church cynic like me, "Good job! I think that's a wonderful thing to do." :)

Peace.

dan said...

Jim,
I think you're absolutely right. And, I don't know that I'm looking for confirmation as much as I wish more people would see that the church isn't all bad (or would quit complaining). You know, people like me who complain all the time. :)