Sunday, June 06, 2010

Vacation - day 1

We left on this summer's vacation about 2 pm Sunday. After a nice morning worship gathering and lunch at Bob Evans, we headed home and filled the suitcases. I'm sure I packed way too much, but when it's just the two of us I guess we can do that. Although the Focus doesn't have near the trunk space I thought it did.

We pulled out at 2 and headed to Decatur to pick up rt. 33. We took 33 all the way into West Virginia where we picked up I-77 South. It took us about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to get to Columbus, OH. We got on I-270, then I-70 E. We got off at exit 105A to pick up rt. 33 up again. It was a pretty nice road. It was 4-lane for most of it. Although when we got into the hillier parts it was hard to find a place to get gas or food. We finally stopped just across the Ohio river - when we got into West Virginia - at a McDonald's in Ravenswood, WV. We ate, got gas, and picked up I-77. We went about another 45 minutes and found a hotel in Charleston, WV about 8 pm. Apparently Charleston is the largest city in the state, and it only has 51,000 people. Weird. We pulled off at exit 95 and stayed at a Comfort Suites hotel. There were several to choose from, and several restaurants too.

All told we traveled about 330 miles today. It took just about 6 hours, including stops. I think we got 38 mpg when we filled up with gas. Tomorrow we are hoping to head out about 8 am and drive about 7 or 8 more hours to get to Myrtle Beach, SC.

No comments: