Wednesday, June 08, 2011

New office hours

I am thinking of changing my office hours at the church. I don't usually even think about them too much. I pretty much try to work from 8-4:30 Monday through Thursday, 9-12 Saturday, and anywhere from 6 or 7 to 11:30 on Sunday - while also usually coming in Sunday afternoon for a few hours. Although I probably actually work more than that - especially since moving. I tend to work past 4:30 most days, and I am usually in the office around 8 on Saturdays (not counting visits, or lunches, or trips to pick up supplies and whatnot).

I just noticed today that I have had office hours posted outside my office door though - probably since I started here in 1999. They say: 9-noon Monday through Thursday, and 10-12 on Saturday. Hmmm... I guess I forgot that was there. I should probably take it down.

There are a few reasons I would like to change. For one, the schedule that has apparently been posted isn't really true. Second, there isn't really a reason for me to be at the office from 8-4:30 every day. I can pray and read and stuff just about anywhere, and if people need to get ahold of me they can call my cell or leave a message. Third, I would like to establish some "satellite offices" at a couple different places. I want to get in the habit of visiting a couple outside places where I can get to know the staff and the regulars, while at the same time they can maybe get to know me. There is a place in Ossian, and a couple in Fort Wayne that I am currently considering. I would go to one at the same time, on the same day, every week; and then do the same at the other on a different day every week. So I would essentially have 3 different offices (the satellites would be restaurant/coffee shop-type locations).

I will still "work" the same amount every week, but just cut down my time at the actual church office. That way I will still be there to answer the phone, get the mail, be there if someone stops by. I'm thinking something like maybe...

Monday & Thursday afternoons: 1-5 pm
Tuesday & Wednesday all day: 8 am - 4 pm
Saturday mornings: 9-noon
Sundays... whatever

I am assuming most people realize there is a difference between "office hours" and "hours that I work." I just think it's important that I begin to work "out" a little more than I have been... Spending time with people, and being out and about.

But, you know, it probably doesn't really matter what I write down. There always seem to be emergencies that come up and whatnot. But maybe it would be a good guide anyway. We'll see.

4 comments:

JAH said...

For what it's worth, it seems like an excellent idea to me.

Brook Sarver said...

I'm still amazed at how many people still don't understand the difference between "office hours" and "working hours" for pastors (at least in my short experience at Olive Branch).

I think it's a great idea to get out of the church more. Hopefully it's met with acceptance rather than dissent from those few who may expect you to be hiding somewhere in the church all day long in case you are needed...

Blessings!

dan said...

Thanks folks! I appreciate the input. I was trying to be more positive by giving the benefit of the doubt to some, but... yeah, you're right, Brook. Pressing on... :)

Pastor D said...

My “typical” day looks like this...

7:30-9:30 am @ our school morning devotions confirmation instruction visit with staff
9:30-11:30 am hospital calls
11:30-12:30 office visits, check messages, e-mails, etc.
12:30-5 pm shut-in and home visitations
7-10 church meetings
10-11:30 sermon and Bible class work

In the summer school time is replaced with parish planning, writing the Thanksgivng,Christmas Eve, Holy Week services etc.

My office is my 2004 Pontiac Sunfire!