Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Coaching with a coach pt. 2

Monday night I had my second stint at coaching with an already-certified coach as part of my Mentor Coaching class. This time it was with a well-seasoned coach who is actually the president of a coaching organization.

I thought I was fairly well prepared - I've been reading through my old notes, and Tom sent me several other resources that I've been working through. I also have a couple papers I keep handy while I'm coaching just in case I need to jog my memory. Unfortunately, I didn't do very well.

He was very gracious about it, and even commented that I really did help him with his dilemma. I just didn't do a very good job of following the set pattern they have established. He said I was trying too hard. Which I was. I was trying to put into practice all these things I'd learned, instead of just going with the flow of the conversation. So, in a way, while it wasn't my best coaching, I actually learned a LOT from it.

I had always wondered how I was supposed to make the top of the hourglass last 1/2 to 1/3 of the time. It's sort of the "pre-conversation". I was trying to jump ahead to soon. His advice for me was to have a 9-volt battery handy when I do coaching. Every time I am tempted to speak I'm supposed to stick it on my tongue. :)

Another nice thing that came from this experience, though, is that even though I didn't do as well as I'd have liked... it didn't bother me all that much. There was a day when this would have sent me into a downward spiral. Instead, meh, it is what it is. So I feel pretty good about that.

Today I get coached by another student in the group class.