Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Coaching with a coach pt. 2

Monday night I had my second stint at coaching with an already-certified coach as part of my Mentor Coaching class. This time it was with a well-seasoned coach who is actually the president of a coaching organization.

I thought I was fairly well prepared - I've been reading through my old notes, and Tom sent me several other resources that I've been working through. I also have a couple papers I keep handy while I'm coaching just in case I need to jog my memory. Unfortunately, I didn't do very well.

He was very gracious about it, and even commented that I really did help him with his dilemma. I just didn't do a very good job of following the set pattern they have established. He said I was trying too hard. Which I was. I was trying to put into practice all these things I'd learned, instead of just going with the flow of the conversation. So, in a way, while it wasn't my best coaching, I actually learned a LOT from it.

I had always wondered how I was supposed to make the top of the hourglass last 1/2 to 1/3 of the time. It's sort of the "pre-conversation". I was trying to jump ahead to soon. His advice for me was to have a 9-volt battery handy when I do coaching. Every time I am tempted to speak I'm supposed to stick it on my tongue. :)

Another nice thing that came from this experience, though, is that even though I didn't do as well as I'd have liked... it didn't bother me all that much. There was a day when this would have sent me into a downward spiral. Instead, meh, it is what it is. So I feel pretty good about that.

Today I get coached by another student in the group class.

2 comments:

MR said...

"I just didn't do a very good job of following the set pattern they have established." Clearly this guy didn't know you if he was counting off for that! haha!

...and I know the feeling. It's like someone gives you a toolbox full of new tools and expects you to just use the pliers and screwdriver. No WAY! You want to try this stuff out!

And yeah, if you were down on yourself while you were still being taught, that would be pretty unreasonable. Not to mention that much more is yielded from failure than from success with regard to learning. Also, you had a teacher in front of you, and you allowed him to teach... so, there you go, coaching in a nutshell.

bill Sloat said...

I'm glad that you have a way to pursue your calling. I just don't see Jesus teaching coaching nor do I see Barnabas teaching it to Paul or Paul to Timothy.