Tuesday, January 27, 2015

American sniper

I saw the hot new movie American Sniper in the IMAX theater at the old Rave last week. Wow. It was pretty cool watching it IMAX style, but it's a pretty intense movie. I went with Drew, Kyle & Colin, and Thomas gave us a tour of the theater afterward. That was pretty cool too.

I can certainly see why this is a controversial movie, and how people can feel very passionate about it from opposing viewpoints. It raises a lot of tough questions. Honestly, though, I didn't come away from the film feeling one side was pushing an agenda on the other. Perhaps I wasn't looking for it, but it seemed pretty fair in simply showing how horrible war is - for everybody involved.

Personally, I am a pacifist. I don't believe it should be up to me to decide who lives and who dies (or at least I don't want it to be up to me). I also prefer non-violence over violence. However, that doesn't mean I can't understand violent acts and war and whatnot. I could probably actually get into it if I decided to do so. But I CHOOSE to be a pacifist. It is not a feeling for me, it is a decision; a choice that I strive to live by.

That said, I know there are holes that can be found in this perspective; just like holes can be found in others. We live in a human, fallen world. I can't make everything work out, so I do the best I can, and try not to judge others with whom I disagree. I trust they're doing the best they can too. I don't see where name-calling really helps (not that I haven't done so myself - again, doing the best I can).

So, those are just some thoughts I had after watching the movie. I don't recommend it or not recommend it. It does make me ever more fearful that Sarah Palin might actually make a serious run in politics. But... what do I know? That's all.