Saturday, March 28, 2015

Goal in life

A week or so ago I was thinking about life-goals. I read about and hear people talk about them from time to time. So I was feeling a bit down because I don't really have much of a goal in my life. I seem to mostly just exist anymore. Sure, I would like to run a marathon someday, but who knows if I will; I want to see my kids and grandchildren grow and mature; I want to have a good marriage... but I don't really know if those things can be quantified as goals. One day it kind of struck me, though, I wonder what Mother Teresa's life goals were? Was she hoping to heal "x" number of people by a certain time? Did she hope to achieve a certain level of financial peace? Was she wrapped up in degrees and education and whatnot???

Now, to be sure, not everyone is wired like her - or me. I am not implying there is anything wrong with having goals or wanting to achieve success of any kind. I actually think it's good. I'm just sayin' though... I don't know that it's wrong to NOT have goals either. Sometimes there are phases of life where... it just doesn't work that way.

Of course, one of the first things we had to do at my coaching class last week was share a goal we have. Not wanting to be a problem student I racked my brain for something to say, and it actually occurred to me that I might have a goal after all. It was part of why I was there. I would actually like to lean into this coaching business as a semi-retirement vocation. That is what I am working towards. If I start doing it now, maybe over the next 10-15 years I can gain enough experience and possibly/hopefully even be able to make a little money at it - at least enough to give me the freedom to work from home or on the road.

So there, I said it. I kinda, sorta have something long-term in my mind. A goal in life. Who knew? Stranger things have happened.