Tuesday, December 22, 2015
Not only did I miss posting over the weekend - which I've done off and on - but I didn't even get one up yesterday. I've just been a little off kilter this week. Not anything bad, but I am a person who needs routine. I thrive in an ordered world with a very disciplined self-imposed schedule. So, even when my life isn't hectic, it can disorient me when I don't have time to think, pray, sit, contemplate. And most of that needs to be done with no one around. Sometimes I think a monk-ish sort of life would be attractive.
I haven't had time to just sit and write out any posts lately. There is plenty in my head and on my mind, but it takes me awhile to formulate it. So here are a few randoms...
- I just drew a total blank.
- I splurged and bought TWO new pair of eyeglasses this morning. Jane had a coupon, and even though I prefer going to "real" eye doctors, I decided to get a 2-for1 pair of glasses. I can't imagine they will be very nice, but we'll see. I am supposed to pick them up tomorrow morning.
- I have started Reggie McNeal's book "A Work of Heart: Understanding How God Shapes Spiritual Leaders" again. I've started this book a couple times, but never gotten very far. It seems to be good, but the print is so small and smashed together... something as simple as that has kept me from getting very far.
- Jane and I volunteered to be greeters for our church's Christmas Eve service. We have nothing else going on that night, and it will just be the two of us. I guess we're at the point where if all they'll let us do is open the door for people, then I guess that's what we'll do.
- I really miss planning services like Christmas Eve and so on. I miss how we used to do it: sing some carols, read the Christmas story from Luke, share a brief devotion (the man and his birds), and communion by candlelight. I don't really miss the hustle of being in charge though.
- I think I've grown to like Christmas more now that I'm not a pastor. I still don't think it has anything to do with Jesus or discipleship, but I seem to be cheerier, and I look forward to parties and family and things more.
- I wish I had more time to sit and think right now, but I don't, so this is it for today.