Tuesday, May 17, 2016

[cl]Utter freedom


A couple people have commented that we seem so calm about the basement water situation and the prospect of losing some of our stuff. The truth is, for the most part, I would have been okay if even more of it had been ruined... because it's just "stuff."

There are a few items we have that hold sentimental value, but I've never been one of those people who takes pride in the things we have. In fact, I would prefer a much simpler life than we have found ourselves in. I find great freedom - utter freedom - in being without attachments to ...clutter.

One of my favorite things about living in the church parsonage, and an apartment before that, was the lack of clutter we had. The only furniture we had was a couch, chair, TV, kitchen table, and our beds and dressers. If anything I probably took pride in THAT.

It's not that I don't like having certain things. I like having the piano, and guitars, the grandfather clock, many of the antiques we have... but they do actually tend to complicate life for me.

So... anyway... I was just thinking about the joy I feel at being free of clutter. I'm not feeling deprived, nor anticipating any grand gestures... this is just what was on my mind. I like a simple life. An uncluttered life. That's all.

The garage is probably where I need to start the cleanse.