Monday, February 02, 2009

Happy candlemas, groundhog

I almost forgot that today is Groundhog Day. The little guy did see his shadow, by the way, so there will supposedly be six more weeks of winter.

Groundhog Day has taken on special meaning for me since I was invited into the Groundhog Club several years ago. My good friend, Frank, pastors a church in Punxsutawney, Pa., which is where the festivities take place every year in the United States. I think that's kinda neat.

Today also happens to be the Christian holiday known as Candlemas - otherwise known as the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple (from Luke 2:22-40). I am running late for a meeting, so I will just have to point to some great information at Churchyear.net, and wikipedia. Also a nice article by Stephen Douglas Wilson Groundhog Day's Christian Roots. I may come back and edit this later. Sorry.

Here is a Candlemas prayer for you:
Kontakion (First Tone) of the Presentation

Your birth sanctified a Virgin's womb
and properly blessed the hands of Symeon.
Having now come and saved us O Christ our God,
give peace to your commonwealth
in troubled times
and strengthen those in authority,
whom you love, as only the loving one.

Peace out; and in.

No comments: