Saturday, March 07, 2009

Solo wrestler

I am bachin' it this weekend. Lady Jane went to Findlay yesterday for a women's conference held at daughter Carrie's workplace. She will hopefully be back tomorrow. Though last year this is when they had to take her to the hospital on Sunday morning right before I was ready to start the worship service. We later found out it was her gall bladder. I still don't understand why people were giving me crap for freaking out about that. Whatever.

So... it's just me around the house. I don't even have the dog anymore. Though the worst part for me in this whole bachelor thing is the food situation. I just can't cook. I did manage to heat up some peas and carrots out of a can the other night. That's pretty bold for me. I don't think I'm ready for a chef hat yet. I bought a salad from Wendy's last night. Not sure what I'll do tonight.

This morning we had the Men's Lenten Breakfast at our church. Every year during Lent we combine with five other churches and the guys rotate to a different church each Saturday for breakfast. I stay out of the kitchen, and I provide the devotion. The guys always do a good job with pancakes and sausage. I think we had 12 from here, and 21 altogether (or so I was told).

Yesterday I went and saw The Wrestler. Last time I checked it wasn't playing anywhere in the Fort, but they must have brought it back to the Rave. I went to the 12:55 pm show, and it was me and two other guys. We made sure to spread out. It was pretty good. I'm still not sure on Mickey Rourke as a Christ figure, but... they tried. And... I forgot that Marisa Tomei played a stripper. There was a bit more nudity than I was prepared for, but at least not a lot of sex. And I thought Marisa preferred short, stocky, balding men... or was George Castanza misinformed? Anyway... it was good. I'm not sure it was the best movie of the year... but pretty good.

I had an interesting conversation today with a guy who told me why he quit going to church as a teenager. He said his parents used to make him go, and every Sunday when he sat down in Sunday School the same kid would hit him on the back of the head with his Bible, and everybody would laugh. Even the teacher. So he said he had finally had enough, and he told his dad about it. His dad told him to pop the kid. So... the next Sunday, he walked in, sat down, kid hit him on the back of the head with his Bible, and he got up and punched him square in the face. Then all hell broke loose. The Sunday School teacher screamed at him, the pastor came in and yelled at him, his parents were mad at him and told him how much of an embarrasment this was going to be to their family. Yet nothing was ever said to the kid who used to hit him on the back of the head. And nobody could understand why he would never go back to church after that. Anyway, he is much older now, and has finally started attending here - mostly because of his wife, he says. But you can tell he still carries it with him today.

Well, I just got all the clocks changed at the church, now I should probably go home and change the clocks there. Need to do the treadmill, eat something, then I don't know what. I have a bajillion books I need to read, but I have a hard time doing that for recreation.

You know... sometimes God works in some pretty wild ways. You just never know who might say something at just the right time, or how sometimes even one word can possibly alter the course of eternity for someone. Last week was a long week. This weekend was setting up to be long. I am thankful for small graces though. God is good.

No comments: