Monday, April 27, 2009

Not counting

Well, the Regional Office called the other day and left me a message. Something like, "We were looking at your statistical report, and apparently you forgot to fill in the attendance figures for last year. Could you call and let us know what they were."

I don't remember if I've blogged this or not, but there was no forgetting involved. I didn't fill in the attendance figures for last year... because we quit keeping track of attendance last year. I actually wasn't even going to fill out my report, but I felt bad, so I ended up doing the other parts of it.

I really do feel bad about this. Especially for the secretary. And I really don't know what to even suggest. I know it puts the denominational people in a bind. I suppose I could just guess and tell them that. Or, I also suggested they could kick us out of the denomination. Which I hope they won't do, but... whatever.

I will say this, though... I wish I had quit keeping attendance records a LOOOOONG time ago. It has been the best thing to happen to me since I don't know what. It makes Sundays so much better for me, and has completely changed my focus and thoughts about church. It's maybe not shown directly in what I do, but it's more of a mental/emotional thing.

I'm sure someone will suggest that I just find someone else to do it. Well, to me that would defeat the whole purpose of why we quit keeping attendance figures in the first place. I actually think it was someone we had speak at our regional conference last year that suggested we needed to start counting those who were NOT church attenders, rather than counting those that did show up. If the church is about serving others (blessed to be a blessing), then why are we so concerned with those who are already there? And, yes, I know we need to minister to one another. But I don't know why it matters how many show up to our Sunday gatherings.

Anyway, I still feel bad that someone won't be able to do their job because I didn't keep my records. But maybe *I* am not the problem here. Maybe it's what we're counting that is the problem. I dunno... I could be wrong too.

Peace out; and in.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

i think it's great that you don't count anymore. hang on to your resolve. i'm sure it will get sticky.

dan said...

Cindy,
I appreciate the encouragement. Thanks.