Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I cleaned my office


I've been trying to clean my office the past few days. It has been a total pig sty for quite some time. Which is odd, because I don't like my house being like that. But... whatever. At any rate, I started last Sunday. Jane and I took out the 8' table that I'd used as a desk for almost 11 years now. It had been on the opposite wall in this pic. In it's place I put the black dresser that we just got back from Isaac. It will be nice to have some drawer space. Then alongside the dresser I put a little 20"x48" card table that works nicely for the computer. I was then able to slide the humongous old desk over a little bit and that freed up some room.

After moving things around I then got into a "throwing away" mood. I filled a couple garbage cans with stacks of papers and magazines and other stuff that, you know, I always think I might need, but it ends up you rarely ever do. Monday I pitched a stack of old quotes and illustrations that I had printed off. I guess with the internet I don't really need to save those things on paper anymore. I also organized some of the things on the walls. I had quite a few things taped up, and I organized them better on the bulletin boards (and threw away a lot). Then there are some lists I have taped up under the one bulletin board which I moved so they're easier to see: my daily prayer list, and the greeter, acolyte, and nursery schedule. I need to find a spot for the Jr. Worship schedule too.

I still need to organize my bookshelves a little better. You can't really tell from this pic, but I did change things a little. There are still too many books for the space I have, and I can't really get more shelves. So I will likely be moving out some books in some way. Not sure how just yet.

I would also like to get a small table and a couple of chairs. I have no idea where to put them, because on the wall you can't see is this gigantuan safe and two large filing cabinets. I really wish that safe was not there, but I don't think it's possible to move it. It would just be nice to have a place to sit when someone comes into my office. Whatever.

The bad thing about cleaning things up is that you can now see how terrible the carpet is. Ugh. Plus I wouldn't mind maybe painting the paneling. I don't really like paneling, and of course most of the church has it. I think painting might brighten things up a bit, but it will have to wait for now. I suppose I should just be happy that I even have an office.

All in all, I do like having a clean office. Now if I can just keep it from getting quite so cluttered again. You can see some old pics of it here, here, and here.

No comments: