Monday, October 24, 2011

Cookouts seem so easy. So then why...

We have had a cookout at the church pavilion the past two Sunday nights. A week ago it was just the usual 'Third Sunday Supper' that we have the third Sunday night of every month. There weren't a lot of people there, but I think it was a good time for those that were there. We cooked hot dogs on the campfire, made smores for desert, and just hung around. Last night Jane's Sunday School class hosted some ladies from the women's shelter. They make supper for them one Sunday a month, and for the past several years have had them out to the country in Sept. or Oct. for a cookout. A lot of them don't get to the country much, and they seem to enjoy the wide open space. Plus the kids have a GREAT time running and playing on the playground, and someone donates pumpkins for them to either decorate here or take back to the shelter and do with what they want. There weren't a lot of them last night (less than 20), but I think they had a good time again. I know I did, because I got to hold my granddaughter for most of the evening, and I also introduced her to pumpkins and let her experience sitting in the grass.

It occurred to me after each event, though, just how easy it is to have a cookout at the pavilion. So then I wondered why we don't do it more often. I mean, we had someone bring a half load of fire wood, and we still have a bunch left. Matt brought a big tractor rim for a fire ring. Cooking hot dogs over a fire is easy. Smores are fun. And having someone bring baked beans, mac-n-cheese, salad, and some chips is pretty simple. Just make some koolaid and coffee and... presto, chango, you've got yourself a cookout. There is minimal setup, and cleanup is a piece of cake. So... again... why don't we do it more often?

Of course, I know the answer. I mean, we have tons of people in our church who do this sort of thing all the time. I think many of them simply don't want to do it with "church people" though. I spoke on friendship during our Sunday morning gathering yesterday. To be blunt, we as a church sorta kinda suck at that. And I'm probably as bad about it as anybody - or at least it seems that way. I always wonder if the fact that I'm pretty introverted, and usually feel like the odd man out, sets the tone for these things, and I think a lot of people read me as being unfriendly. When really I just mostly feel awkward and feel like a lot of people in our church don't really like me. So... I don't know... It really does seem sad to me.

But we had a good time last night anyway. Mostly.

I hit the snooze for 45 minutes this morning, mostly because I just didn't want to get out of bed. I hope the week gets better.

No comments: