Wednesday, June 06, 2012

My 3dm coaching huddle

I had my first Coaching Huddle yesterday. It is a weekly conference call with 6 other church leaders and is designed to help me learn how to better make disciples. It is through 3DM ministries - which is an organization dedicated to discipleship and mission (or missional communities). I'm pretty excited about it.

My Huddle Leader is Chris Norman, the pastor at Grace Gathering in New Haven. Also in my group is: Rod Tackett - a 28-year-old from Goshen, IN; Phillip Phifer - a 41-year-old pastor at Zion Lutheran Church in Decatur, IN; Tim Heerebout - a 31-year-old church planter of sorts from Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Roger Bird - from The Bridge, somewhere in Michigan (he's been married 24 years, so he must be in his 40's); and Andy Dragt - a 35-year-old pastor currently planting "The Branch" in Grand Rapids, MI.

Chris must be in his early 40's too. He has 4 young kids, pastors a church, teaches at IPFW, and is a tri-athlete/ironman competitor. He has a bachelors in Philosophy from the U of Mich, and an MDiv from Grace College in Indiana.

The first meeting was mostly us getting to know one another, and a few basics of discipleship that I already knew from reading the material. Our first assignment for next week is (1) to share our personal strategy and plan for discipleship over the last 3-5 years, and (2) to share what our church's strategy for making disciples has been over the last 3-5 years. Also, where are we strong/weak, and what steps can we take to improve.

Should be good.

No comments: