Friday, June 01, 2012

Returning from myrtle beach

The beach leg of this vacation is over. We got home from Myrtle Beach at 7:30 last night. Of course the last day there was probably the nicest beach weather. But it's good to be back home.

Wednesday it rained a bit in the morning, and was windy as all get-out. However we didn't get the nasty weather we were supposed to get from 'Tropical Depression Beryl.' They were calling for us to get dumped on with several inches of rain overnight and through the day. But it started clearing off mid-morning, and by noon the sun was shining and it ended up being a beautiful evening.

Thursday was perfect. The water was calm, the wind had died down, and the sky was clear blue. We had to check out by 11 am, so we didn't go to the beach. We walked along the boardwalk quite awhile in the morning, then did some packing, and sat on our balcony and just watched the ocean for awhile. At 11 we checked out of our room and took one last stroll along the beach. Then we drove over to this place called "Broadway at the Beach." It's not exactly at the beach, but it's a huge mall of sorts (and I mean HUGE). This was the first time we'd driven anywhere since the day we arrived and a short trip to get some groceries. It's not that far either. You just go north to 21st Ave., turn left, and it's a few blocks down and on the right. We were going to walk around - it's like 1 1/2 miles around the mall - but it was really hot and sunny. Instead we decided to grab lunch and just watch a movie, waiting for our 6 pm flight. So we went to Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. Jane got a turkey burger and I got the hamburger. It was good. Then we went to this giant movie theater and saw "Battleship." The movie was kind of disappointing, but it was a nice theater, and we were the only two in the show, and it was air-conditioned. The movie was over at 3:30 and we headed across town to the airport. It only took about 20 minutes to get there. And when we returned the rental car the guy was in the lot waiting for us. We only put 14 miles on the car. Then we took the shuttle to the airport.

We thought we were going to be waaaay early, but there was a huge line at the Allegiant counter. I was a little worried that something was wrong, but I guess everybody just arrived at the same time. So we chatted with some people in line, got our flight stuff, and went to the departure area. We had a sandwich at Subway while waiting. We finally boarded - back in our 12A and 12C seats - and flew home. It was an excellent flight. We flew over clouds most of the way, and just as sunny as it was when we left Myrtle Beach, it was that rainy and chilly when we arrived in Fort Wayne. But when we came through the gates and into the Fort Wayne airport we saw Carrie and Anna, and when Anna saw us she ambled our way with a big grin and her arms up in the air. That's one of the best feelings in the world.

Carrie brought us home, we unpacked, and then we grabbed some nachos at Applebees. Now it's back to reality. Though we still have the weekend off. This was a nice vacation. Nothing spectacular, but lots of rest and relaxation. Just what we wanted.

No comments: