Monday, December 03, 2012

Accountability group

I started meeting with a couple of guys last week as an accountability group. We are all three pastors, and the one guy (the youngest) contacted the other two of us and asked if we would be willing to meet once a month, just to hold one another accountable, and hopefully to encourage one another in our life and work. I was so happy he asked, because I've needed something like this for awhile.

For me, it is so easy to get sucked into unhealthy habits. I tend to be a glass-half-empty sort of person, and I need someone to speak the truth to me; someone to tell me what God says rather than what I say or what the devil would like me to believe.

I actually have a folder with a bunch of accountability questions and things that lend to that, but the other two guys didn't seem too interested in anything that formal. They would rather have more of an open sharing type thing. Or just know that there is someone they can call at 2 am when they need prayer, or something. I'm good with that too. I also like to use questions for myself though, because sometimes I need to address things that I might otherwise want to ignore. Questions help me get beyond that.

So, we are going to meet on the first Tuesday of each month at a central location. It is probably about a 45-minute drive for me (one way), but it is worth it.

No comments: