Friday, September 06, 2013

Quick trip home

I made a solo overnight trip back to Buda Wednesday. A good friend of mine's mother passed away. He lives in Nepal, so it was a rare opportunity to see him, as well as the fact that his mother had always been a gem. She kept my family's picture on her refrigerator to remind her to pray for us, and she was always glad to see us when we would visit the old home church. I grew up just down the street from them (good ol' 'A' street).

So I headed out just before noon Wednesday and took some veggies and a jug of water with me for lunch. I kind of took my time going, and missed the turn at Rt. 49, so I went all the way to Merriville before cutting up to I-80. I also took a nap at a rest area along 80. I don't even know how long it took me to get there, but I think I arrived around 4:30 CDT. My dad was the only one home so I just changed my clothes and went out to the visitation for Vi right when it started at 5.

When I got back my mom, sister, and her son, Kevin, had returned home. My sister and Kevin were there because Deb's best friend from high school passed away that morning. So they drove down from Minnesota but didn't make it before she died. Anyway, we hung out and eventually had pork chops on the grill for supper. I have this nagging cough from allergies, I think, so I slept in the recliner downstairs and Deb and Kevin took the bedrooms. I actually didn't sleep too bad.

Thursday morning I got up and pigged out on donuts, then I went to the 10 am funeral. It lasted about an hour. It was nice. I got to see some folks. Then I went back to the house and changed clothes, and I headed for home at 12:36 pm our time (which is 11:36 their time). I made a pork chop sandwich and grabbed a banana, so I actually didn't spend a dime the whole time there (other than 9 gallons of gas to get there). I made it through the Joliet to Gary section easy-cheesy. I just get in the far left lane and go as fast as I can. Otherwise I don't like to drive more than 9 mph over the speed limit (and usually only 4 over in normal driving). Pretty soon I realized I might not need to stop to go to the restroom, so I kind started pushing it a bit. However, by the time I got to rt. 30 and went through Warsaw and Columbia City, people were starting to head home from work and the traffic got kind of bad. Plus there are a lot of stoplights on 30. So I still made it in 4 hrs. and 25 minutes.

After I got home and unpacked, we had tickets to the Tincaps playoff game. It was also a 'Thirsty Thursday' so I thought it might be crowded. I was disappointed that there weren't really a lot of people there. We did see Jared and Molly, and sat with them awhile; as well as Marci (friend of Drew Carrie). Oddly enough there was a whole row of us that somehow knew one another. Also chatted with Thomas the beer guy. He always asks if I've found a job yet. Other than that, it was a great night for a ballgame. We hung out and walked around the park several times. I guess we did have supper there too. I had the tacos and Jane had a taco salad. We left in the 8th inning and went home. All in all it was a pretty nice day.

Now it's Friday and I'm heading over to watch the kids for a bit while Carrie goes to the doctor.

No comments: