Saturday, March 07, 2015

What's best

I am going through Tony Stoltzfus's book 'Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills,' and came to a halt on p. 22. He offers insights for a 'Client Profile Form' and suggests some questions to ask a potential client regarding life purpose, values & priorities, self-knowledge, needs, and coaching agenda. Under 'Self-knowledge' he offers the question: "What's best about you? List five things you love about yourself." Wow. I think that's a great question to ponder.

Most people probably don't spend a lot of time thinking about what they love about themselves. I know I don't. So I'm going to spend a little time doing it. This might not be how it ends up, but it's a start...

5 THINGS I LOVE ABOUT MYSELF:
  1. I love my compassion for the underdogs of society.
  2. I love my artistic/free-spirited side.
  3. I love my introverted/contemplative nature - that lets me be comfortable reading, or sitting in silence, or simply being 'quiet,' and allows me to think about things.
  4. I love my sense of loyalty to those people and things I value most.
  5. I love my "writing voice." I wish everyone could hear the voice in my head when I write. I think it is different from the voice I speak with. My writing voice is much more calm, humble, assured, logical and probably makes a great deal more sense than my regular voice.
  6. ADDED LATER - I love the slowness with which I do things: talk, think, walk, etc. I desire a slowed-down life. It's something I am striving for.

So... there's a start; off the top of my head. It's funny how many of these are things I am often frustrated with about myself, but I also love at the same time. Hmm...