Saturday, April 11, 2015

Savoy brown at c2g

This is from our seats.
We took in a Savoy Brown (wiki) concert at the lovely C2G Music Hall last night. There was a great crowd of mostly gray-haired hippies. I was kind of surprised with the $20 advance ticket charge ($25 door), but we were not disappointed.

SB is one of those bands from the 60's that I remember HEARING, but I can't say that I can place any particular songs. Just that simple British blues/rock sound. And, actually, my most vivid recollection is from my early 20's. I was buying some weed off a guy one night, and he had one of their albums playing. We sat and listened to it in the dark of his living room for a long time. It is definitely "grooving" type music.

I also love going to C2G. We haven't been there much lately. I still think about going back there to church. It seems like a much better fit for us. I also became quite fond of taking communion every week. Hmm...

Anyway, we had supper at a mexican place on Fairfield, and arrived just in time for the 8 pm start of the show. The 3-piece band came out very casually, and tore into it. They did two sets. It was pretty laid back. I didn't realize they were celebrating 50 years - even though Kim Simmonds is the only original member. I loved listening to his guitar sing, and the bass player was pretty good too. He played a regular 4-string, but he also had an electric stand-up bass that sounded so sweet. I'm not sure why he didn't play it more. I can't say that I remember the drummer, so he must have been good. I'd guess they got done somewhere around 10:30 or so. Kim was pretty funny between songs too.

It was a nice night. I'm glad we went.