Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The 24-day challenge

We started the Advocare 24-Day Challenge yesterday. According to their website, it is a "comprehensive supplementation and nutrition program designed to give your body a jumpstart... in weight management, energy, overall body composition and/or overall wellness." It has two stages: Days 1-10 are the "cleanse" stage, where, in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise, you rid your body of waste and prepare it to better absorb nutrients. The second phase, days 11-24, is the "max phase," which is about fueling your body in order to achieve maximum results of sustained energy, appetite control, core nutrition and overall wellness.

Yes, that all sounds a little hokey to me too, but I'm going to try it. I know people who have used it successfully, and I like that you don't starve yourself. In fact, we don't really have to change our diet (eating) that much at all. It is basically just a healthy diet, limiting sugar intake. There are a few drink mixes you make, and some pill-form supplements. It's probably not that different than the "white cross" tablets everyone took in the 70's and 80's.

Anyway, the hardest part for me will be no alcohol or caffeine; and I need to start exercising REGULARLY. I'm sure I will survive. I think it does actually help that it's a "challenge," because I need something to motivate me.

This was Carrie and Jane's idea, so I hope they both find it beneficial. I could stand to lose 10-20 pounds myself, and if this helps, then I'll be happy. We'll see.