Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The big short


We went to a movie with Isaac & Ricci last night. I'd not even heard of 'The Big Short' - or at least I didn't remember - but it was a really good, and sad, movie. It has an all-star cast of Christian Bale, Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, and Brad Pitt - all actors I like - and it was about the events leading up to the credit and housing bubble collapse in the mid-2000's. It is based on the non-fiction book by Michael Lewis.

It seemed a very good movie, with good acting, but it kind of left you feeling very hopeless afterward. Rather like many of the characters in the movie upon finding out just how messed up our entire economic system really is. In my opinion, it leaves you with the same sort of feeling I would have if Donald Trump actually won the presidential election, which, after watching this, seems much more likely than I'd ever thought possible.

So, not only a good time with the kids, but I wish I more people would go see this movie. Although... I'm guessing most people would just come away from it wishing they had been one of the people making millions off of it - rather than voicing their concern for needed change. Oh well.