Friday, August 12, 2016

If trees could wink


I think it was last year, or maybe even the year prior, that I changed my route to work. I'd heard the Grand Wayne Center was hosting a Global Leadership Summit viewing, so I decided to drive by there on my way to work just to kind of 'see' church leaders gathering together. It was a chance to reminisce, if even only in my mind, and I recall thinking good thoughts each day as I would pass by and see them with their briefcases, coffees, and lanyards.

This year I was only aware of the GLS because there was a bit of a kerfuffle at work because the GM was attending (not because he was attending, but.... never mind). Sure enough, when I drove by on my way to work, there were the same church/business leaders, doing what they do, on their way to this years summit.

Something seems different this year though. When I drive by, it's like I cannot connect at all with the people I see. I kind of recognize them (not that I know them, but more the type), but I don't think I relate to them anymore. I'm sure many are simply business leaders - whom I wouldn't relate to anyway - and that, to me, says a lot right there. In my opinion, business leaders and church leaders should not have much in common. But, obviously, what do I know.

Anyway, so when I drove by yesterday and today, it made me a little sad, because I did not realize how good I had it when I was a pastor. Life is very different working at a mundane job day in and day out where I basically just pass the time until I can drive home.

On the other hand, I think I'm probably better off (and my church is better off). I am not a big fan of "church leadership" anymore. Not that I have anything against church leaders, but it's not for me. It didn't really seem to be something Mother Teresa was too interested in; or Billy Graham; or Eugene Peterson; or... well, plenty of people. Again, nothing against church "leaders," but that is not a position in the kingdom I aspire to. Fortunately I know plenty of local-church pastors who feel the same way.

So, to be honest, I would probably go to the leadership summit if I were able to. But I'm not, and I'm okay with that too.