Saturday, March 25, 2017

And... it's saturday again


So it seems blogging is somewhat getting away from me. Now and then I will have someone mention a post from years ago and, as I gander back at it, I not only miss being able to write about the things I used to, but often I wonder who the heck even wrote it. It's like someone else. But, alas, that is life my friends (or myself). I've not many complaints about the way things presently are, though more and more I wish I could slow time to a crawl.

Anyway, this week seemed to have a lot going on in my mind, and some of it even spilled over into actuality.

Marcus King Band
The most notable thing in my memory was seeing The Marcus King Band Thursday night. As I've mentioned before, our church sort of runs a music hall in downtown Fort Wayne. They have quite a few shows, and I have rarely, if ever, been disappointed in the talent they bring in. We actually hadn't heard of the MKB, at least to our knowledge, but we weren't doing anything Thursday night, and the opener was one of our favorite local bands (Todd Harrold & Nick Bobay), so we hopped down to the church building and took in the show. It was also a chance to hang with some of our new church friends (volunteers from the church work the shows). Let's just say we were NOT disappointed again.

When we arrived we chatted with some of the volunteers at the door. They were the same people we make and served food with the night before to the underserved of FW. They also (finally) asked if we would want to join the volunteer crew for the music hall. I'm thinking we will. After that... it was another evening of near-musical bliss.

Todd and Nick started off with their usual soulful/grooving sounds and he opened with this fantastic 10-minute version of 'Bridge Over Troubled Water.' It's amazing the amount of sound two guys can pour into an evening. I could sway to them all night.

After the opening half-hour set we noticed quite a crowd filling the hall. I recognized many local musicians and music-scene regulars expectantly looking forward to the main act. I soon found out why. Man... I do have to admit, the MKB does not play exactly my style of music (not that I don't like it, but it's "busy"), they were some phenomenal musicians. Wow. They put on an incredible performance.

Then... this morning as I was reading the news on the computer and preparing to write this, Jane was watching the TV show "CBS This Morning" and they had none other than THE MARCUS KING BAND ON LIVE!!! They did mention Thursday that they were heading to New York, but I don't remember them saying they were going to be on TV. So, that was kind of fun.

The Buick
I finally put the '02 Buick Century up for sale. Since buying the '13 Honda Accord we no longer need it. Jane is driving the Accord and I have changed to the '11 Ford Escape. The Buick has been running a little funky so I made an appointment to have our mechanic look at it. I didn't want to sell it knowing something was wrong. Well, I wasn't planning on that "something wrong" being the need for a new catalytic converter. They quoted me a price of almost $500, but suggested I could have it done for about half that at a "lesser" shop. So, I just put a post on Facebook that the car was for sale for $500 as is - stating that it needed a new catalytic converter. I was hoping someone who could do the work themselves would jump on it.

Right away I had a couple people who said they were interested. However I then heard from a few other people who were actually in need of a vehicle, but didn't have the means to get the repairs done. So now we are wrestling with whether to go ahead and get it fixed and sort of 'donate' the car to someone in need, or try to recover a little of the expense we've lately dumped into it. Either way we are not only not going to make any money, but it is now a matter of how much we can afford to lose.

So that seems a rather sad end to what has been a phenomenal car for us. My parents bought it new (or nearly new), and we bought it from them at the end of 2006. It's been a great car for quite awhile in our family. My parents and us both loved the ride, and it also got good gas mileage for a car its size. I will miss it.

Miscellany
Other than that there seems to be too much to remember right now. I finally got under 170 lbs on the scale. I was happy about that. My body still feels good (no soreness or aches from working out). We are scheduled to be greeters at the new church this Sunday and next. I do need to start working on the sermon I have coming up in April. It's the same as it's always been: I have lots of ideas but just can't seem to get myself to sit down and puke them out on paper. And... it's another great lazy Saturday where the wife and I got to sleep in and ease into the weekend. Though she is frantically cleaning the house, and I'm doing more of the easing. :)

I would like to say I'll try to do better at blogging this week, but I'm really kind of enjoying not trying to do "better" at anything. Sometimes it's nice to just do my thing, with a tad of intentionality and contemplativeness, without getting wrapped up in the "need-to-ness" of things.

Peace out, folks; and in.