Thursday, March 23, 2017

Running in a bucket

So I'm starting to get my legs back under me by running on the treadmill. I discovered that I can watch TV while I do it at the Y and that makes it a little better than at home. At the Skyline the TV is actually right on the treadmill!

I'm not going gangbusters or anything yet, but in 45-60 minutes I can do 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 miles. I've only been doing it a few days a week but it feels good to be able to do 6-6.5 mph for a little while at least. I can definitely feel that progress is being made in my legs and my lungs.

I've never been one to keep any sort of "bucket list." I suppose I'm the type of person that doesn't like to hope for things because then I won't be let down. Either that or I am content with more simple things. At any rate, if I ever have had a "bucket list" desire it was to run a full 26.2 mile marathon. And since we're dreaming I would also like to do it in 3 1/2 hours or so. But... I gave up on that notion last year. It just seemed too out of reach to ever be possible. And, over the last half year I wasn't so sure I even wanted to continue running. It wasn't fun anymore and I wasn't getting anything out of it other than sore legs and frustration. I'd kind of determined that maybe it was simply time to stop.

However, you know me, once I saw a little bit of light I had ideas swirling in my mind again. This morning I felt pretty good since I'm just getting over a head cold. It felt good to feel good again and I feel pretty relaxed and rested. So my mind wandered towards another possible marathon attempt. If I could get back on pace to doing 3 days of 5-6 miles each, (outside) and one longer run each week. Then do the elliptical and rowing machine a couple days. And I could sustain that and stay injury/soreness free...

I don't know. There I go again getting all wild-eyed. I know I would need to get intense about it. It would begin to take over my life and there would be consequences to consider. I just can't seem to do things casually. So...  I don't know. I'm just thinking. Out loud.