Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Hail of a day


This pic was taken out our back door last night. I haven't seen hail like that in a long time, if ever. Fortunately it was around 50 degrees but it's been some crazy weather this February. It continued to storm through the night but we both slept through it. I did hear the tornado sirens (or something) at one point but just went back to sleep.

Today is a mighty warm and windy start to March. The high is supposed to be 60-something, then tomorrow's high will be in the 30's. Yay.

This is also the beginning of the Christian season of Lent. Our pastor was joining with another one in town to offer "Ashes to Go" for anyone that wanted their forehead smeared. I like that. I've never been too into the ashes thing, but I like the idea of offering a blessing to people on the street corner.

Personally, I do like the season of Lent. I was unaware of the Christian calendar for most of my life, but for the past several years have found it a great way to identify with Christ, as well as others who are doing the same. And, naturally I suppose, I am drawn to this season in particular due to my contemplative nature.

That said, though, I will not be participating in any Ash Wednesday services. I started the day by going to the Y and doing the elliptical machine for 1/2 hour. That about killed me. I'm not used to it but it did feel good to work up a sweat, take a shower and then head to work.

Tonight we are supposed to help with this online class our church is offering. We have yet to discover our role exactly, but we've already been through the class. It's called "Every Day" or something like that, and is a simple course on learning to read the Bible and journal prayers.

Also, this year I think I am going to try giving something up for Lent. I normally don't do this but I thought this would be a good way to cut alcohol out of my life. At least for awhile. So we will see. It will honestly be a struggle for me, which is probably another reason it's a good idea.

Well, that's about it. The wind is still blowing like crazy. I'm just waiting for something to get damaged at work. Until then, I will try to hang on.

**Note: I tried adding the pic on my phone and I couldn't get it to work, plus it was just way too sluggish.