Saturday, June 23, 2018

Shut up and run 11 miles on the treadmill


I believe I did my longest ever treadmill run today. I was scheduled to run 11 miles, and it was puky raining outside, plus I wasn't feeling like a ball of fire, so.... I ran 11 stinking miles on the treadmill in our basement.

It really wasn't that bad. I never went over 6 mph, and mostly stayed around 5 - 5 1/2. I also stopped at the 6-minute mark and took a gel and some water.

To pass the time I took my kindle and watched the documentary 'Shut Up and Play the Hits.' It's about LCD Soundsystem and frontman James Murphy at the time of their final show. I say I watched it, but my battery actually died with about 5 minutes left. So at some point I should probably watch the end of it.

Anyway, as for the run... like I said, it wasn't that bad. Not that running 11 miles is nice or anything, but doing it on the treadmill as opposed to outside was better than I thought. It's hard to beat a fan blowing on you, in the air conditioning, and no hills or mud or rain or stoplights, etc., etc., etc.

I actually felt better as the run went on. Sometimes I forget how I used to hit my stride around 6 miles or so.

Other than watching the movie, I spent a good deal of time looking at my reflection in the kindle screen. I could basically just see my head, and I concentrated on keeping it as still as possible. I've been trying to work on minimizing arm movement, as well as keeping my head/body from up and down and side to side motion. 'Smoothidity,' I think I'll call it (smooth/fluid).

Another thing I'm going to try to do is go slower on my longer runs. 11-12 minute mile range. If I work on speed it can be during the 3-4 mile runs. 9-minute miles would be swell, but I'm growing comfortable with the idea of not worrying about time and just enjoying running.

So, I did 11 miles on the treadmill today. Very likely the longest I've ever run on a machine, but probably not going to be the longest. Now it's time for a shower and off to work the parking lot for a Tincaps game.

No comments: