Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Dimensions of discipleship: disciplemaking & personal transformation


I've probably mentioned the weekly coaching group I am part of. One of the recommended books is Robert Logan's, 'The Discipleship Difference.' I have finished it, and hope to someday post a review.

In our coaching group we are using the '8 Dimensions of Discipleship' from the book. We have been tackling two dimensions each week, writing out a short summary of what our life as a disciple looks like through this lens (dimension), and highlighting what has our attention the most from the reflection (kairos). We then take turns working through (leading or being led) a discovery process using the 'learning circle' (I intend to write more about the learning circle someday too).

Logan says the 8 dimensions of discipleship are (as illustrated in the tree above):
  1. Experiencing God
  2. Spiritual Responsiveness
  3. Sacrificial Service
  4. Generous Living
  5. Disciplemaking
  6. Personal Transformation
  7. Authentic Relationships
  8. Community Transformation
This week we are to cover numbers 5 & 6 (Disciplemaking & Personal Transformation), and I thought I might as well just blog my process as write it down in my notebook.

DISCIPLEMAKING
Logan defines disciplemaking as: Living in obedience to the great commission given by Jesus, which entails making more and better followers of Christ (he defines a disciple of Jesus as "a reflection of God in the world.").

The supporting Scripture is Matthew 28:19-20: "Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

The listed "Behavioral Expressions" are:
  • Engaging in spiritual conversations with those who are not yet followers of Jesus.
  • Explaining the good news and the way of Jesus.
  • Establishing new believers in a discipleship process.
  • Connecting people with a faith community.
  • Helping new followers make more followers.
PERSONAL TRANSFORMATION
This is defined as: Changing your attitudes and behaviors in positive ways as a result of your relationship with God and others.

The supporting Scripture is Romans 12:2: "Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect."

Behavioral Expressions:
  • Actively engaging with God in the examination of your heart.
  • Cooperating with God's healing work in your life.
  • Processing feedback and input from others.
  • Living out new priorities and changed behavior.
  • Increasingly bearing the fruit of the Spirit.
 ----------------

The assignment is: Write down a short summary of what your life as a disciple looks like through this lens, highlighting what has your attention the most from your reflection.

MY REFLECTION:
These are both areas where I have been better in the past than I currently am - even aside from my former "professional" role. Within the past year even I used to love conversations with atheist friends about the Good News and the ways of Jesus. Somewhere along the line I guess I lost my desire, and now I actually will shy AWAY from such conversation.

I suppose a case could be made for a connection between this 'shying away' and my own personal transformation (or lack of). Although, the optimist in me might say I've been in more of a resting/abiding state lately.

Even if I am not actively engaged in disciple-making expressions, I still see value in them, and do not consider myself opposed to or never again living them out. The thing that catches my attention is the area of personal transformation regarding "Cooperating with God's healing work in my life," and "Processing feedback and input from others."

I'm not entirely sure why this is. I do feel like God has been at work in my life lately. However, I also have to admit that I maybe haven't been overly cooperative with him in that regard. Sometimes I will sense I know God wants me to do something, and I honestly just don't want to do it. Whether it is fear, or a lack of trust, I don't know. It is definitely something though, and something I should probably be processing with others.

---------------

So, there ya have it. That's my reflection today; written out while sitting at the front desk at the YMCA. Now I will need to cut and paste it into 'Slack' - the format our coaching group uses to share info with each other - and then hope that I don't get selected to have to work through my kairos at the next meeting. :)

No comments: