Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Wednesday wonderings...

I'm sitting at the Skyline desk on this snowy cold late-November morning with no real stream of thought at hand, so here's some free-associating for the day...
  • This is, of course, Drew Carrie's wedding anniversary. Their ninth! How wild is that? They have all three kids in school and are way into adulthood. As parents/grandparents, we couldn't be more proud of them. I'm also glad the weather was much nicer then than it is today. I remember it being warm and sunny and we took pictures outside with no coats. It was a beautiful day!
  • I am no fan of cold winter weather, but it doesn't bother me so much anymore. I think living in a city helps. I know we can at least always get out. When we lived in the country, or even a small village, I didn't like the feeling of being trapped outside of civilization. I would not make a good mountain man.
  • One thing I do like about winter is wearing gloves. I don't care to touch things with my bare hands too much. Gloves are good.
  • I started in on my newest coaching class yesterday. It's in a self-paced "e-class" format. I went through the introduction and the five sets of videos making up section 1. It was good to go over the basics of leadership coaching again.
  • The past few days I've been really up and down emotionally - about my job, life, personality, and lots of things.
  • I can really get down on myself when I think about how meaningless and mundane my job is. Not that it necessarily has to be, but I have no responsibility, and TAKE no responsibility. It is seriously a part-time job that a person in high school could do... and here am I... beyond middle age, educated beyond reason, and I toil in nothingness. I suppose what's worse than the times I am ashamed are the times I'm not.
  • On my best days I can think of this as my contribution to society. Trying to be of service in a subversive manner, offering leadership support to my boss, informal coaching to co-workers and members, as well as trying to encourage friends and associates in church work.
  • Unfortunately I don't seem to have a lot of "best" days anymore. I feel more like I've wasted a lot of education and reading and I offer little to nothing to anyone around me or society in general. I'm like a spoiled child who never grew up.
  • Anyway... sometimes I think I'm getting tired of working early mornings. I like it when I'm there, but I don't like being tired so early in the afternoon then. Maybe I'm just tired of working in general.
  • Oddly enough, my least favorite shift is when I work 9-5. It's like it ruins the entire day. Fortunately I only do it one day a week (usually, but not always).
  • I also keep wondering if it's my job that makes me feel the way I do, or if it's just me. I mean, every time I think about getting another job and what I want in a job, it seems to be the things I like the best are the things I get to do in this job. I think a lot of it is my boss - he's a nice guy, but is honestly not a good boss. However, there isn't anything I can do about that. So... who knows.
Well, that's probably enough for today. The bike shop guy must be feeling chatty today, so I will sign off. There is one person lifting weights right now, one on an elliptical, and another must be in the locker room. This is the slow period. Period.

No comments: