Monday, December 24, 2018

Holiday travels & festivities (so far)


I made a quick, quick trip to Buda this past Thursday and Friday. I left the Fort shortly after getting off work and headed West. I was picking up my parents to drive them back to our house so they could celebrate Christmas with us. Isaac and Ricci also flew in on Friday evening after Ricci got off work.

My trip to Buda didn't go exactly as planned. I still made it just fine, but it took over 6 hours! Ugh. I left around 2 pm hoping to get through the Gary to Joliet section of I-80 before rush hour. Unfortunately there was an accident around Plymouth, IN. I sat in park for 20 minutes before finally cutting across the median and taking an alternate route. Unfortunately a lot of other people used the alternate so I ended up losing like 40 minutes or so. Then when I got to the Chicagoland area there were a series of accidents on I-80 and I felt swallowed up in a sea of semi's. I soon lost track of time, and as it started to rain and get dark, I knew this was going to be a long, exhausting trip.

I finally did arrive in the old hometown. I ate some potato soup, chatted with the parentals for awhile, and went off to bed. Unfortunately, after being awake for so long, I was tired... but not sleepy. So I lay awake forever and caught up on my Fighting Illini Forum reading.

Friday morning I got behind the drivers seat of my mom's car and transported the folks to our home in Fort Wayne. We made better time than the trip there, and only stopped once to sit down in a Burger King and have a lunch break. The weather was good, minus some lake effect flurries in NW Indiana.

Isaac and Ricci flew direct from Atlanta and their 9:49 pm flight was actually early. They arrived at 9:25 and we made the 10-minute trek to pick them up.

Saturday was spent lounging around the house with all 4 generations of Horwedel/Feipel family members. I think the total is 11 of us - not counting cats and dogs. Saturday evening we took the Feipel Five and the Atlanta Horwedel's to Takaoka - a local Japanese restaurant - for part of everyone's Christmas present. We thought the little kids might enjoy experiential gifts more than mere toys, and I think they did. Below are some pics.


After supper, M'Lady and myself headed to friend Mike's annual Christmas bash. It's been one of our traditions for some time. We snack and chat, and eventually turn 'Catchphrase' into a drinking game. As usual, a good time was had by all.

Sunday we went to church - again, minus my parents. Drew was helping lead the singing. We were also joined by Scott (he's sort of a mix of son Isaac and Drew Carrie's son :)). We set up the live stream so my parents could watch at our house. The rest of the day was lazing around, eating too much, playing with the wee ones, and eating some more.

Today I had to open the Y. I arrived to work at 4:45 am. The first member checked in at 5:38. I was not expecting it to be busy, and it wasn't. Not sure why the boss needed someone else there. Oh well, the alternative is to not get paid.

So, that's been the holiday so far. Tonight - Christmas Eve - we will open presents at our house, then as many as are able will likely attend the service where the grandkids go to school. Tomorrow is Christmas Day - when everyone must go home. Bah. It's been pretty good so far though...





No comments: