Friday, July 10, 2020

Half marathon training


Imagine that! This morning I decided I would make out a half marathon training schedule for the annual Fort4Fitness Fall Festival, and it just so happens that a 12-week plan starts... this week! It must be fate!

I haven't been running so much lately. I don't think anyone has. Almost all races and events have been canceled so far this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and I wouldn't be surprised if it continues. It's hard to stay motivated without something to train for. So, I thought even if I have to do it virtually, I need to be training for something.

I had originally registered to run another full marathon on September 26th. I'm kind of glad now it was canceled. I don't know if I could have mustered the energy to train for that. But I figure I can at least do a half marathon. It's not like I care about a finish time. I wouldn't even feel bad walking part of it. I just need something to shoot for.

I use Hal Higdon's training plans, and this year decided to simply do the 'Novice 1' program. I'd rather not get too fanatical about it. I also altered my rest days to better coincide with my long and short days at work.

So, I'm hoping this will help get me out of my running rut. Not that I minded taking some time off. I also think doing more bike work has strengthened my knees and glutes - which I have needed to do. And while I wanted to keep the marathon streak going, it is probably better for me to not always get what I want. As they say, "it is what it is."

"And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." (Hebrews 12:1b-3)

No comments: