Thursday, October 26, 2023

The delusional fool

Yesterday was sort of a lost day. I kinda forgot I'd heard some people don't react to the covid/flu shot until 12-24 hours later. Yep. After not feeling too bad when I got up yesterday I decided I better take the day off from running anyway. Instead I did a 5-mile walk. It was after that I started feeling worn down. The rest of the day was very mild flu-like stuff. Nothing serious, but I spent a lot of time on the couch. I only had two things I was supposed to do: turn the crock pot on at noon, and fill the garbage bin. I didn't do either.

Today I woke up feeling pretty good though. My blood pressure was a steady 113/71 (heart rate of 51). So I trimmed up the front yard tree and got the garbage bin filled just in time for them to empty it this morning, then went for a run. I did a 5k in 27:37 - which is not great for most 5k-ers, but it's as fast as I've done it in several years probably. I celebrated by walking another 2 miles.

Which reminds me... Remember the post from the other day where I said I was thinking of joining toastmasters and researching anxiety and stuff? Yeah, I'm probably not going to do most of that. It sounded nice at the time, but reality has struck. If anything I should probably just try to find a counselor...

I did good to simply finish another book yesterday. Black Elk Speaks was 'okay.' I'm glad I read it, but it's hard to call something of that genre a "good" book. Before that I finished re-reading An Arrow Pointing to Heaven. Now THAT is a good book. Probably in my top 5 or 10 of all time.

This morning a friend sent me a piece by Chad Bird called 'Praying At Our Wits End.' It was perfect in that it sort of wrapped up all the above (and how I'm presently feeling). Bird poses the question: "What do we do when 'I got this' becomes the empty creed of the delusional fool?" Ha! I love that line because it's so true of me. Oh, and his suggestion... Remember Psalm 107.

Carry on, friends.

No comments: