Tuesday, October 01, 2024

2024 fort4fitness


Another Fort4Fitness Fall Festival has come and gone. It's one of our favorite days to be FortWayne-ites!

According to their website, this event started in 2008 as a way of "helping northeast Indiana residents improve their overall quality of life through fitness events." We joined the fun in 2012, which is when I ran my first ever half marathon (and thought I could do anything!). We have both ran either the 4-mile, 10k, half marathon, or full marathon every year since.

This year Jane did the 10k and I officially did the half marathon (I ran another 6 miles before the event because my marathon training called for 19 miles on this day). She got 4th in her age group and 256th overall (out of 821+) with a time of 1:04:31. I got 10th in my age group and 355th (out of 777 overall) with a time of 2:12:43. Although, I swear, when I looked at my results the other day I was 379th out of 800-some. Who knows, or cares, really.

Altogether, at least when I looked at the results page today, and if my math is correct, there were just under 1,500 total runners, broken down like this (which is a far cry from the almost 10,000 the first year we did it):

  • 4-mile: 1270
  • 10k: 821 finishers (plus a bundle who were disqualified for some reason)
  • Half Marathon: 777 (interesting there were none who didn't finish??)
  • Triple Crown (all 3 races): 48 finishers, plus 16 who didn't finish
  • Virtual: apparently 3 overall

What makes this so much fun is not only the other runners, but all the volunteers and ALL THE SPECTATORS who show up to lend their support! So many people are doing something for the first time, or their best time, or the mere fun of it... and seeing so many people all along the course clapping, celebrating, and joining together in neighborhoods to encourage others... it's just the best feeling for me. I especially love the Oakdale neighborhood where the street is line with friends and neighbors partying and have it decorated in a Christmas theme every year (complete with beer shots).

My day actually started at 4:40am when I jumped out of bed, got dressed, and immediately went out and ran 2 miles. Then I took a shower, ate breakfast, and got dressed again. We left the house around 6:45am and headed downtown for the festivities. While waiting for Jane's 10k to start at 7:30am I ran another mile, then ran the first couple miles of Jane's race with her before turning around and heading back for my race start at 8:30 (so I got my extra six miles in spurts). I actually changed my shoes and clothes before the half because, while the temps were a near-perfect 60-ish, it was a bit humid and I was a sweaty mess. I was more than happy with my time of 2:12 in the half, because I wasn't intending to run even that fast. I followed the 2:15 page setters for much of the race and apparently they didn't understand that's the pace they were supposed to be keeping, because they were going way faster than that. Oh well.

I wore my Brooks Ghost 14 shoes (which I ran last fall's marathon in) for the initial 6 miles, and changed to my Brooks Glycerin 20s (which I ran this spring's marathon in) for the half. I wore toe socks for both, and ended up in my gray shorts, navy tank, and gray mission hat for the half. I also ended up carrying my 12oz water bottle. I wasn't going to carry water but it's become sort of a security blanket as I've carried it for so many races. It also held the 4 jells I ate over the 19 miles. I never did refill the water bottle, but emptied it and I think I stopped at every water station too.

It was a somewhat weird year in that Jane and I were both there to start her race. When she got done, though, she headed out to attend the granddaughter's last volleyball game of the year. When I got done I grabbed some water, chocolate milk, and food (banana, pretzels, cookie) and had my free beer. I chatted with so many people I knew, including the son-in-law who also ran the half. We hung around and had a couple more beers, then Jane returned from the volleyball game and soon after we all headed to a restaurant downtown where we met up with Carrie. My watch said I walked (or ran) over 41,000 steps for the day!

One thing I thought about while running this year is how I miss those almost "zen-like" moments at the start of races. I used to love that part so much. When you've put in all the training and finally get to the starting corral, and everyone is squashed in together and you're waiting for the cannon to go off.... I recall it being such a calm moment, just taking it all in. Somewhere along the way I've lost that. Either because there are so many other things going on, or maybe it's because I just take it for granted anymore. Like, even this, it wasn't just running a half marathon, and when I did do the half it was more just a training run rather than a "real" run (I was intentionally trying to go slow). I'd like to work at trying to get back to enjoying each race for what it is, and finding the joy and simply being able to do ... this. It's not something I should take for granted, and I don't want to be like that.

Anyway, I really do enjoy this event every year. Yes, I know, I have also complained so much about so many things... but I hope they never stop doing this. I also hope someday they can regain some of the numbers they've lost over the years. I don't know why so many local runners choose to not support local races and events. I guess there are reasons. For this year, at least, I was pretty happy with this day again. I'm glad.

No comments: